IUPUI can trace its roots back to 1891, when Indiana University offered classes in Indianapolis for the very first time.
In the decades that followed, both IU and Purdue proved themselves dedicated to providing higher education opportunities in Indianapolis, offering programs in the liberal arts, medicine, and more.
However, the two universities operated independently until then mayor Richard Lugar called for “a great state university in Indianapolis” in 1968.
As a result, Indiana University and Purdue University merged their many programs and schools to create Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis in 1969.
Since then, IUPUI has come into its own, becoming Indiana’s premier urban research university.