As an institution of higher learning, where faculty driven research efforts are integral to our academic mission, IUPUI took the unprecedented step of largely hibernating its on-campus research mission in response to the public health threats posed by the COVID-19 virus on March 27, 2020 and restricting access to buildings and research activities. This resource is meant to provide guidance for the staged reopening of research spaces at IUPUI, while still following procedures meant to control the transmission of COVID-19 between individuals working in our research spaces. For the purpose of these guidelines, research spaces are defined as areas on campus where two or more people interact for the purpose of research. Guidance is also provided for research conducted in the surrounding community, where the physical space is not under the purview of Indiana University. It is understood that all guidance should follow local safety and advisory warnings.
The Research Activities Task Force at IUPUI prepared the following guidelines, members are listed below.
- Chair, Janice Blum, Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education
- Janet Carpenter, Science of Nursing Care, Office of Research Support/Associate Dean for Research, School of Nursing
- Tien-Min (Gabe) Chu, Associate Dean, Research/Professor, Biomedical and Applied Sciences, School of Dentistry
- Shiaofen Fang, Interim Dean/Professor, School of Science
- Philip Goff, Professor, American Studies, School of Liberal Arts
- Thomas Hurley, Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, School of Medicine
- Marc Mendonca, Associate Vice Chancellor, Research, School of Medicine
- Jere Odell, Scholarly Communication Librarian, University Library
- Kristi Palmer, Herbert Simon Family Dean, University Library