Offered on campus
The Master of Arts in Sports Journalism is a 30-credit-hour program designed to produce highly qualified and educated graduates to fill positions in traditional mass-media corporations as well as new-media outlets locally, nationally, and internationally.
The program, ideal for graduating seniors and professionals with a few years of experience, focuses on the converging worlds of print journalism, electronic media, public relations, advertising, documentary, and emerging technologies as expressed in the new commercial reality of sport.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills using print, broadcast, digital, and social media.
- Appraise and apply journalistic values and ethical standards and their use in both traditional news media and the evolving field of digital sports media.
- Analyze and write about sports in a larger social context involving economic, legal, social, and political issues.
- Evaluate the symbiotic relationship between sports and the media from historical and contemporary perspectives.
- Assess the strategic differences used in communicating with news audiences on print, broadcast, and digital platforms.
- Manage and implement new forms of sports journalism online, including blogging, tweeting, and streaming audio and video.
Courses are offered in the evenings on IUPUI’s downtown Indianapolis campus, within easy walking distance of major sporting venues and a short drive of the state’s major newspaper, television, and radio headquarters.
No thesis is required, and the program can be completed within two years.
Take the next step
IUPUI social media channels
Contact, Address and Additional Links
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202