Offered on campus
Data Science - Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
There’s no choice but to lead when you’re breaking new ground
Guide rapid development in an emerging field with a Ph.D. in Data Science. You’ll refine methods of extracting and managing knowledge from massive, complex data sets. Make pioneering research contributions through your work in our program—the first of its kind in both Indiana and the Big Ten.
At the School of Informatics and Computing at IUPUI you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with faculty members who are international leaders in their fields, and to work with researchers from leading global health and life science research centers.
Map the path from Big Data to knowledge
The demand is only growing for professionals who can apply principles of data science to specific areas. We’ll help you to refine data mining techniques and data visualization for real-world applications, transforming complex informatics data sets into meaningful knowledge. You can define and investigate relevant research problems and become an agent for change in this interdisciplinary field.
You’ll refine your ability to:
- Define, create, adapt, and utilize rigorous research methods
- Communicate research findings effectively to peers through scholarly publications.
- Manage research projects that involve interdisciplinary expertise
- Contribute to writing research grant proposals aimed at securing external funding to support research activities
- Understand and address ethical and professional issues related to research, including approval processes and certification for human-subject research
Careers in Data Science
By developing deep technical skills using massive amounts of data, you can become a successful researcher:
- In academia—Positions including research, research support, and tenure-track posts in major universities
- In industry—Industrial research and development positions such as data scientist, director of research, and senior data analyst.
Use your skills to develop inventive and creative solutions to data research problems—solutions that demonstrate a high degree of intellectual merit and the potential for broader impact. Our Ph.D. curriculum prepares you to make research contributions that advance the theory and practice of data science.