Offered on campus
Clinical laboratory science is a diverse, science-based profession aimed at accurate performance of clinical laboratory procedures on biologic samples from patients. Physicians use the results from these procedures in diagnosing, monitoring, and treating diseases. Some of the tasks that clinical laboratory scientists perform are listed below:
- Analysis of simple/complex chemical components of body fluids
- Evaluation of cellular components of blood
- Identification of microorganisms and their antibiotic susceptibility patterns
- Preparation of blood components for patient therapy
- Molecular detection of diseases
- Evaluation of new techniques, procedures, and instruments
Laboratory personnel continually evaluate the quality of the results from procedures and instruments and solve any problems that relate to inconsistencies. Excellent communication skills are required to interact with other members of the health care team, to teach, and to manage individuals under their supervision.
Clinical laboratory scientists typically work in laboratories located in hospitals, clinics, physician group practices, blood centers, medical research facilities, or medically oriented industries.
Take the next step
IUPUI social media channels
Contact, Address and Additional Links
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202