After over a decade of service to the web community, I have made the decision that Web by Design has served its purpose and lived a fruitful life. It is time to shutter the doors and move on. However, due to the fact that so many continue to reference this tutorial, I will keep it available for the near future.
Thank you for your support over the years. It has been a pleasure.
The process of transferring files from one location to another, such as to your
space on the web server is called ftp (file transfer protocol). When you
transfer a file, you are actually making a copy of it in the new location; the
original file remains where it is stored on your local workstation.
- Use your web browser and go to:
- Click the option you prefer: Try, Purchase, Update.
- Complete the registration form and click Submit. On the following
page click on the name of the download file to begin the download of the
file to your local workstation. Store it in some temporary location on
your hard drive.
- Go to the location on your local workstation where you stored the file and
Double Click the icon to start the installation process. It will install itself
in the correct location. After you answer the questions provided in the dialog
boxes and agree to the license agreement, WS_FTP will complete the installation
process. Then after a successful install, you can throw away the downloaded
- When the installation is complete, a window will remain open showing
you the WS_FTP icons. For easier access in the future, drag the WS_FTP
icon to your Start button or Desktop.
- To use WS_FTP, double click the WS_FTP Icon.
- The Session Properties dialog box allows you to supply information
regarding the machine you are connecting to, and your
authentication information. (Refer to the sample image below for steps
- Click New to get a blank dialog box.
Sample Session Properties Box
- In the Profile Name text box, type a word or phrase that reminds you
of the site purpose; this is for your benefit in choosing the site from
the list in the future. For example, you could name it: My Web Server.
- In the Host Name/Address text box, type the name (or IP number) of
your web server—your web administrator will be able to provide you with
- Make sure that the Host Type drop-down box lists "Automatic
- In the User ID and Password text boxes, type your
username and password for the web server.
- If your workstation is secure (you are the only one who uses it), you can
click the Save Pwd checkbox so that WS_FTP will remember your password
from now on.
- To make the connection, click OK.
- Usually the web server administration has the machine set up so that
you can only access your designated space. Refer to the image below for
Sample Dialog Box Showing Local and Remort Files
- Your screen will open with two windows:
- The left window displays the contents of your hard drive and initially
shows the contents of the C:\Program Files\WS_FTP directory, indicated in
the top text box on the left side of the dialog box. You will need to
change from that initial directory to the location where you stored your
- The right window displays the contents of your web directory.
- To change from the current directory into a sub-directory or to
change to a different drive (for example, the A: drive—your floppy
disk), double click the folder name or directory letter.
- To move up out of the WS_FTP directory, Double Click the green arrow
to move up one directory level. You will need to do this twice to get to the
root level of your C: drive.
- When you have located the file you wish to transfer in the left window
and the receiving location on the web server.
- Click the filename to highlight it.
- Click the right pointing arrow in the center of the dialog box to effect the
The file will transfer. Usually files, unless they are large image files
and you are on a slower modem, will transfer very quickly. You can verify
that the transfer has happened by checking the message area at the bottom
of the WS_FTP window. It will indicate how many bytes transferred
successfully then display a Transfer Complete message. If you are
working from home, make sure you WAIT after each transfer until the
Transfer Complete message shows. If WS_FTP is still working on the
transfer, it will usually lock-up if you try to choose another action
before the prior one is completely finished.