Senior Academy Board Meeting
March 8, 2012
Members Present: Marge Applegate, Pat Blake, William Bosron, Mary Grove, Giles Hoyt, Carlyn Johnson, Walter Linne, Art Mirsky, Randall Strate, Rebecca VanVoorhis, Rosalie Vermette.
Members absent: Nick Kellum, Rose Mays, Shirley Newhouse, Jeff Vessely.
Guests: Jean Gnat and Golam Mannan
Call to Order: President Bill Bosron called the meeting to order at 10:02 am
Minutes: There was a motion to approve the minutes of Jan, 12, 2012 (Hoyt/Vermette). Motion carried.
President’s Report: William Bosron
- President Bosron reported that there will be a luncheon for retirees on May 1, 2012. Bill will attend to represent us and to alert the new retirees about the Senior Academy.
- On March 23, 2012, Human Resources will conduct a benefits meeting for new retirees in Riley Outpatient. We will have a table at that meeting to introduce the retirees to the Senior Academy and the advantages and opportunities of membership. Lee can provide us with brochures. Rosalie Vermette, Pat Blake, and Golam Mannan volunteered to go to that program (7:30 am to 11:30 am)
- The annual meeting is scheduled for May 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm at the Athenaeum. Giles said that arrangements are coming along nicely. He noted that parking is available immediately east of the building. Tokens can be purchased inside the athenaeum for a nominal fee that can be used to pay parking as one exits the lot.
Treasurer’s Report: Mary Grove (Nov/Dec 2011 and/Jan 2012data)
- Mary pointed out that market values on the accounts remain negative, but at a lesser negative trajectory so things seem to be improving. Our investment income continues to grow at a modest and stable rate.
- In January, we received $128.42 (contribution and dividend) to the Academic Scholarship fund (96 Acct)
- We have received $1507 in dues as the fiscal year – to – date total.
- We are in the process of moving our checking account to the IU Credit Union for greater convenience. Therefore, our checking account remains in the Huntington Bank at this time.
- Mary was asked for examples of budget support provided by IUPUI Administration. Examples given included: support for Lee’s contributions to the Senior Academy, office space and equipment for Lee, Last Lecture support in several areas, postage and mailing support etc. We have enjoyed excellent support from Dean Sukhatme’s office.
- It was moved (Vermette/Hoyt) that the budget report be approved and filed for audit Motion carried.
- The Secretary will attempt to attach the Treasurer’s report to the minutes as a pdf file. (not too lucky so far) Both the minutes and treasurer’s report will be sent to Giles Hoyt who will put them on the web site. Each member of the Board received a copy of the report at the meeting. Please attach it to your minutes.
Program Committee: Carlyn Johnson
- Carlyn noted that we need to send out a “save the date” message for all remaining programs and activities. Walt indicated that it will be out shortly. With Lee’s help we can do both an e-mail and a postal mailing.
- Carlyn reviewed the remaining events. Please see the attached listing.
- Jean Gnat reported that things are moving well for the Clifty Falls overnight event. She noted that it will be important for people to let her know if they are coming as some planned events depend on the number of people who sign up (i.e. the visit to the Lanier Mansion, dinner reservations for the planned dinner) She also noted that there is a one- time entry fee of $5 upon entering the park. She said there is no elevator at the Inn, so those who need to have a room on the first floor should make that known when reserving a room. Reservations are due by April 10, 2012. (Event: May 9-11, 2012) To make a reservation for the event, please e-mail www.indianainns.com or telephone 1-877-563=4371. Reservations for the Inn are to be made by each individual, but PLEASE let Jean Gnat know if you plan to attend (317-872-3605 or email@example.com. Please let the people at the Inn know that you are with the Senior Academy.
- Carlyn reminded the Board that she will be pleased to serve on the Program Committee in the future, but that the Board will need to appoint a new chairperson.
- She did note, however, that it she has begun to put things in motion for September and October of 2012.
- She has begun to look into a program for September for seniors in transition/translocation that is broad in scope, but provides some detailed information of help.
- She will begin to plan for a program on Advance Directives and POLT for October. Becky VanVoorhis is also involved and will report further later in the meeting.
Nominating Committee: Walter Linne
- Walt noted that the Nominating Committee is composed of the Executive Committee members plus Rose Mays and Randall Strate.
- The call for nominations is ready to go out via e-mail and postal service.
- A list of recent retirees will be sent out to Board members, so please check for those who might be interested in serving and would agree to a nomination.
- The ballot will go out May 7th with a return date that enables a report of the results at the annual meeting.
Scholarship Committee: Art Mirsky
- Art reported that the IPS scholarship review has been completed. The top candidates are:
1. Tyler McNeal and 2. Ariel Norris. Tyler plans to major in clinical pathology and Ariel plans a major in forensic psychology. The scholarship is offered to the #1 finalist. If it is not accepted, it is then offered to the #2 finalist.
- The deadline for applications for the other two Senior Academy scholarships is March 15, 2012. The committee will then review the eligible applicants and reach a decision in April.
- The scholarship winners will be invited to the annual meeting and will have the opportunity to speak to the assembly
- Scholarships: The Board remains committed to marketing the IPS scholarship to counselors in the IPS schools. Amber Prather said this would be a good plan for those applying for 2013 scholarships (it’s too late for 2012).
- Marge and Bill will meet with Amber to clarify the scholarship process in light of changes and discuss marketing to IPS counselors.
- There is still a need to revise written information about the scholarships to be sure that the information is clear and that all sources of information are congruent. Marge volunteered to work on this. Any revisions will then be taken to the Scholarship Committee by Art for their review and approval.
- A question arose as to how many IPS graduates apply to IUPUI annually. Mary Grove volunteered to seek data to answer the query.
- Last Lecture: Golam Mannan announced that the speaker for the Last Lecture will be Dr. James A. Lemons. Plans are progressing nicely and marketing plans are the immediate focus. He reminded everyone that the Last Lecture will occur on March 30, 2012 @ Eskenazi Hall (INHR101) @ 2:00 pm.
Patrons may park in any E lot, request a parking permit when they RSVP, or pick up a parking permit at the
SA table inside Herron near the auditorium when they arrive at the Last Lecture.
- POLT – Physicians’ Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment
- Becky VanVoorhis, Bill Bosron, and Carlyn Johnson had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Susan Hickman to learn about her efforts to achieve legislative action to provide a legal document for citizens to use to provide doctors with their preferences regarding orders for end-of-life care. Becky provided Board members with a copy of the initiative as well as the proposed document.
- Dr. Hickman indicated that she would be available for an October program regarding this effort. She is interested in Senior Academy support /endorsement for the legislative effort.
- It is unlikely that legislation will occur in this session, but it will be important to be on board if we wish to be supportive of continued efforts. We could have a panel of experts for an October program to educate people about the initiative and to provide various viewpoints on the issue. The Board discussed the issue and support the October program and to move forward in participation in this effort at a level to be determined. (See Carlyn’s program report above)
- Spirit and Place
- Becky Van Voorhis distributed information about the Spirit and Place theme for 2012 which is “Playing As We Age”. The Senior Academy planning group would like to explore recapturing the play of our youth and/or finding new opportunities for play that enrich our changing lifestyles and physical abilities. The meaning and importance of play to remain active and engaged as we strive to maintain and restore our minds, spirits, and bodies will be the focus of the offering. (summary of document)
- Becky noted that we plan to collaborate with the Indianapolis Senior Center in this effort through Director of the Center: Amy Distaulo. If our proposal is accepted, the program will be offered at the Indianapolis Senior Center on November 4, 2012.
- The Board was reminded that there might be a fee of $400 for the program. It was noted that we approved fiscal support of the program in the last meeting. It was also noted that IUPUI is a major sponsor of the Spirit and Place Project, so that the fee may be returned as it was last year.
New Business: None
There was a motion to adjourn (Grove/VanVorhis) at 11:37 am. Motion passed
Margaret Applegate, Secretary
- Meeting Schedule
- Program/Activity Schedule
NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING: April 12, 2012 @ 10:00 am @ Park 100
ATTACHMENT 1: MEETING SCHEDULE:
Meeting schedule for 2011 – 2012
Thursday April 12 Park 100 10:00 am
Thursday May 31 Athenaeum 2:30 pm
Note: Park 100 is located at 5980 Woodward Drive (Near intersection of I 465 and 71st St)