Senior Academy Board Meeting
February 9, 2012
Members Present: Marge Applegate, Pat Blake, William Bosron, Mary Grove, Giles Hoyt, Carlyn Johnson, Walter Linne, Rose Mays, Art Mirsky, Randall Strate, Rebecca VanVoorhis, Rosalie Vermette.
Members absent: Nick Kellum, Shirley Newhouse, Jeff Vessely.
Guests: Golam Mannan
Call to Order: President Bill Bosron called the meeting to order at 10:00 am
Minutes: There was a motion to approve the minutes of Jan, 12, 2012 (Blake/Grove). Motion carried.
President’s Report: William Bosron
- President Bosron introduced and welcomed Dr. Randall Strate to the Board. Randall is fulfilling the term of Leon Rand.
- Bill distributed a modified agenda for this meeting that was accepted by consensus.
- Bill reported that the health care cost program was well attended (over 20 people) and was very well received. Kudos to Carlyn for another fine program.
Treasurer’s Report: Mary Grove (Oct/Nov/Dec 2011 data)
- Mary pointed out that market value on the accounts improved to the gain side in November after some notable losses. We again experienced losses in December, but at a less painful level so things are encouraging. Our investment income continues to grow at a modest and stable rate.
- We had contributions of $2594 to the scholarship accounts in December ($7400 YTD). Our scholarship funds are in good shape. We are now in a position to send thank you letters to the contributors and that will be done shortly.
- Our only expense in December was the Holiday Dinner and that was a “pass through”. There was a cost difference of $ -0.71 (money collected vs. cost) which was paid from the checking account.
- We are in the process of moving our checking account to the IU Credit Union for greater convenience.
- It was moved (Vermette/Hoyt) that the budget report be approved and filed for audit Motion carried.
- The Secretary will attempt to attach the Treasurer’s report to the minutes as a pdf file. Both the minutes and treasurer’s report will be sent to Giles Hoyt who will put them on the web site.
Program Committee: Carlyn Johnson
- Carlyn reported that the program on Health Care Costs on January 25th was a great success.
- The February event that included dinner at the Conference Center Den and a basketball game was cancelled. The Super Bowl festivities required the use of all of the conference center facilities. The game was played and some may have gone to the game without the dinner. We can do this again next year.
- The Hearing Loss and Hearing Aid Program is scheduled for February 14, 2012, at 10:00 am in the Riley Auditorium. Parking is available in the Riley garage or the Wilson Street garage. As of today, 15 people are signed up for the program.
- The Last Lecture will occur on March 30, 2012, at 2:00 pm in INHR 101.
- The tour of the Indiana Historical Society is scheduled for April 10, 2012, at 10:00 am at IHS.
- The Clifty Falls State Park event is scheduled for May 9 – 11, 2012
- The Annual Meeting is scheduled for May 31, 2012 at 2:30pm at the Athenaeum. We had listed a starting time of 2:00 pm or 2:30pm. The board unanimously agreed to 2:30 pm as the start time.
- Please see the attached list of programs/activities for more details.
- Carlyn noted that she has enjoyed being the chairperson of the Program Committee for THREE YEARS and feels it would be good to appoint a new chairperson for the next year. She will be happy to serve on the committee, but not to chair the committee.
- She did note, however, that it is not too early to suggest programs/events for next year
- There has been a suggestion that we provide a program in the fall for seniors in transition/translocation that is broad in scope, but provides some detailed information of help. This remains a strong interest.
- There is an interest in presenting information and promoting a community effort regarding advance directives. Becky VanVoorhis and Carlyn Johnson both have contacts that would make this a very strong program. This too, is considered a strong recommendation.
- The ultimate goal would be to seek to organize central Indiana to replicate the advance directive initiative carried out in a Wisconsin community.
- A Dr. Susan Hickman has been involved in such an initiative in Oregon and she is involved in seeking legislative action here in Indiana. She is a part of a national task force that is seeking such legislation across the country.
- Our program could be a spring board to supporting Dr. Hickman’s efforts in Indiana. She seeks legislative support for POLT (Physicians’ Orders for Life-sustaining Treatment). Or, given the need to act quickly to support Dr. Hickman, our program could be an opportunity to introduce the program to the public if success is achieved.
- Kent Sharp continues to be interested in helping us with any programs we may want regarding the use of new technologies.
- A tour with updates on the campus was also suggested
- It was noted that we might tap into some of the events advertised in Jag News
- We might wish to reschedule the dinner/basketball game event.
Nominating Committee: Walter Linne
- The vacancies on the Board were clarified at the last meeting and we need to replace 4 board members.
- Walt will draft a letter to be sent out for nominees.
- The Board members are encouraged to send nominations to Walt as well.
Scholarship Committee: Art Mirsky
- Art reported that the deadlines for scholarship applications and decisions has changed and this will mean that the committee will be providing two reports to the Board. One will be for the IPS scholarship and one for the Returning Student and Academic Scholarships.
- IPS decisions will be reached in March and the other two scholarship decisions will be completed in April.
- Someone – probably Art or Marge – will review the applications for eligibility before the applications are sent to the committee members for review.
- Scholarships: Becky Van Voorhis reported that she contacted Beth Barnette in the Scholarship Office who referred her to Amber Pratcher with whom Becky talked. The Scholarship Office is most receptive to marketing the IPS scholarship to school counselors, but it is too late for this year. She suggests we do it for 2013. Meanwhile, it was suggested that we move ahead with:
- Plan to market to all IPS schools to increase the pool and target the eligible for 2013
- Revise all printed documents that currently describe the scholarships to be sure the content is clear and accurate and that all sources of information give the same information.
- Have the Scholarship Committee meet with a person from the Scholarship Office to clarify time frames, process, and any other questions that will help smooth the process. Example – it is mostly done on line now and how the data come in has changed.
- Last Lecture: Golam Mannan announced the winning candidate for the Last Lecture. He is Dr. James Lemons. He is a remarkable man who has contributed locally, nationally, and globally to infant care.
- Golam noted that the time between selection of the short list and the deadline to submit an abstract is too short. This will need to be adjusted.
- It is important to know up front if a nominee will be available on the date of the Last Lecture.
- Golam expressed his gratitude to all of the final selection committee members: Rosalie Vermette (Chair), Larry Goldblatt, Sue Herrell, Marilyn Irwin, Nick Kellum and Rose Mays.
- Dean Sukhatme will be leaving IUPUI for another opportunity in higher education. He has been a strong leader at IUPUI and very supportive of the Senior Academy. Board members would like to recognize Dean Sukhatme at the Last Lecture. There was unanimous agreement
- Brochure: Walt Linne said that work continues to update our brochure. It should be ready for Board review at the next meeting.
- Spirit and Place: Becky Van Voorhis reported that we had great success with our program last year and she recommends that we plan a program offering again this year.
- The theme this year is “Play” – a great theme with which we can work to develop a program
- The deadline for applications to present a program is March 1, 2012
- It was moved (VanVoorhis/Hoyt) that the Senior Academy submit a program proposal to Spirit and Place and that we support related costs. Motion carried.
- Mary Grove, Golam Mannan, and Randall Strate volunteered to help
There was a motion to adjourn (Hoyt/Mirsky) at 11:22 am. Motion passed
Margaret Applegate, Secretary
- Treasurer’s Report (If I’m lucky)
- Meeting Schedule
- Program/Activity Schedule
NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING: March 8, 2012 @ 10:00 am @ Park 100
ANNUAL MEETING: May 31, 2012 @ 2:30 pm @ the Athenaeum
ATTACHMENT 1: MEETING SCHEDULE:
Meeting schedule for 2011 – 2012
Thursday March 8 Park 100 10:00 am
Thursday April 12 Park 100 10:00 am
Thursday May 31 Athenaeum 2:30 pm
Note: Park 100 is located at 5980 Woodward Drive (Near intersection of I 465 and 71st St)