Board Minutes January 2011

Senior Academy Board Meeting

Glendale Library

January 25, 2011

Members Present:  Marge Applegate,  Mark Grove, Mary Grove, Giles Hoyt, Carlyn Johnson,   Nick Kellum, Walter Linne, Golam Mannan, Arthur Mirsky, Leon Rand.

Guests:  Becky Van Voorhis, Jim Brown

Members absent:  Patricia Blake, William Bosron, Theodore Cutshall, Noel Duerden, Shirley Newhouse

Call to Order:  President Giles Hoyt called the meeting to order at 10:12 am.

Minutes:  It was moved/seconded (Rand/Johnson) that the minutes be approved.  Motion carried.

President’s Report:

Giles reported that the Faculty Club is in danger of closing due to increases in the rental fee ($12,000/yr) and substantial increases in the cost of  meals.  Board members agreed that the new charges are unsupportable and, without a reasonable readjustment, the Faculty Club will have to close. 

Giles asked for  board approval  to draft a letter to hotel management pointing out that the sudden increase in costs likely would result in the closing of the Faculty Club.  He proposed drafting a letter to Chancellor Bantz, Dean Sukhatme, and the Faculty Council pointing out the importance of the Faculty Club as an essential part of campus life. Approval granted.

Discussion followed regarding the hotel’s financial situation, which was the rationale given for the need to raise prices/revenue.  Nick Kellum referred to the substantial costs (approximately $32 million) of the hotel purchase and renovation.  Other venues for the Faculty Club were proposed, but none seemed practicable.

Treasurer’s Report: Leon Rand. 

ACCOUNT   BALANCE D  In  MV INVESTMENT

INCOME  

CONTRIBU-TIONS EXPENSES
52: SA Fund    

$ 6,879.03

December 31, 2010

 

    -47.54

    

   23.92

 

     50.00

 
70: SA Fund

Schol. Returning

Students

   

 49,471.61

 December 31, 2010

 

 -348.94

  

 175.38

 

2,036.90

 
88: SA Fund Schol. IPS

Students

   

38,508.76

December 31, 2010

 

-270.59

 

 136.13

     

       0.00

 
96: SA Fund

Academic Schol

   

40,094.30

 December 31, 2010

 

-190.96

    

   96.06

      

       0.00

 
             
Checking Account:     

  6,867.11

December 31, 2010

    Dues collected

    10.00

 

0.50

 

L. Rand noted that Holiday party receipts totaled  $942.40.   A check was written to Hollyhock Hills for $942.91 for a net loss of  $0.50.

It was moved/seconded (Mannan/Linne) that the Treasurer’s report be approved.  Motion carried.

 

Committee Reports:

 

Communications Committee: Walter Linne

Walter had no report.  He introduced Jim Brown to the group.  Jim will conduct the web site learning event immediately following the meeting.  The board extended thanks in advance to Jim for providing this learning opportunity.

Social/Program Committees: Carlyn Johnson

  1. Carlyn referred the board to the Wabash Magazine that had two items of interest to board members.
  2. Carlyn  noted that Marilyn Bartlett from the Center for Teaching and Learning has offered an idea for a program that could be offered in the fall.  The program would run for one or two days with a two hour morning and 2 hour afternoon session with lunch between the sessions (Perhaps lunch at the Faculty Club).  The educational sessions would offer “hands on” opportunities to learn to use Excel, Power Point, Publisher and Picture Management computer programs.  Kendra Orr would coordinate the program sessions.  Becky Van Voorhis noted that these opportunities already exist  at the Center.  It was also suggested that a survey be done to learn what people would like to have presented.  The survey could describe the programs and seek to learn which ones are desired and also get a bead on numbers.  Kendra Orr will be contacted  re doing the survey, the best dates for the program (Oct/Nov suggested), and whether we are overlapping what is already available.
  3. Carlyn reported that the pharmacist program went very well.  There were a lot of questions about health care costs.  Perhaps we could offer a program on health care costs next year.  Bob Kirk was suggested as a person who might be able to help us identify people for this program.  It would be necessary to determine whether the approach should be conceptual or operational.  Most thought an operational approach followed by what policies affect/influence operations would be a useful approach.
  4. 4.       Becky Van Voorhis addressed the group about a possible interest in collaborating with other organizations to present a program for the S&P (Spirit and Place – a subset of Polis) Festival in the fall of 2011.  The Senior Academy might want to collaborate with other organizations to create a program designed for seniors to maintain health and enhance quality of  life.  Last year’s theme for the S&P Festival was “Food for thought”.  This year’s theme will be “The Body”.   The cost is $400.  If the SA collaborated with other groups, the cost could be shared.  Suggested collaborating groups were the Hiking Club and Shepherd’s Center. Becky Van Voorhis, Mark Grove, and Golam Mannan will investigate further. Becky will check with the Shepherd Center and Golam will check with the Hiking Club to establish whether there is an interest. 

 

Last Lecture:  Golam Mannan

Golam reported that the committee had 5 candidates.  Two candidates were unable to be considered this year, but would be interested in being considered next year.  There are 3 candidates remaining.  The committee will have the finalist by February, 2011.  Golam also noted that the time for the last lecture is 3:00 pm.  The Last Lecture will occur on March 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm.

 

Old Business: 

 

None

New Business:

There is no new business, but Giles reminded us that the web site learning event will immediately follow this meeting.

It was moved and seconded that we adjourn (Mannan/Mirsky).  Motion passed at 11:14 am.

Respectfully submitted,

Margaret Applegate, Secretary    (with thanks to Mary Grove for her assistance)

Comments are closed.