prehistory: The first superconducting magnet work done in the IUPUI Physics Department while at the 38th Street IUPUI campus was dog heart imaging studies done with a 180 MHz, 4 in. bore Nalorac magnet and a Nicolet 1080 computer. That same 180 MHz Nalorac
magnet later became the core of Professor S. Wassall’s home built solids NMR spectrometer. Throughout the late 1970’s, Physics Department NMR measurements were made at the NIH regional facility in Purdue University Chemistry Department at W. Lafayette.
March, 1982: First commercial superconducting NMR spectrometer, a 300 MHz widebore with NMC console, installed at 38th Street IUPUI campus.
July, 1991: Varian Unity 500 with broadband decoupling and shaped pulse capability on both observe and decouple channels installed at 38th Street IUPUI campus.
September, 1991: Console on 300 MHz widebore replaced with a Varian Unity that ultimately has shaped pulse capability on the observe channel along with broadband decoupling.
July, 1991: Old NMC console, now retuned to 200 MHz, is mated with an old Bruker magnet to give the center its standard bore, 200 MHz NMR spectrometer.
August 18, 1992: Given official University approval of status as a center.
August, 1993: Center begins the move to the newly constructed LD building at 402 N. Balckford St. on the main IUPUI campus. The first NMR spectrometer to move is the 300 MHz widebore with Varian Unity-300 console.
November, 1993: Varian Unity-500 is moved to the IUPUI main campus. At end of this same month, the retuned NMC based 200 MHz NMR spectrometer is also moved to the IUPUI main campus completing the NMR Center’s move.
February, 1997: Unity-500 console is replaced with a Varian Inova-500 with triple resonance and Z-axis gradient.