Instructions for filing a complaint
Welcome to the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) complaint system. If you believe there has been a violation of the University's Nondiscrimination policies,
we urge you to file a complaint. It is important that the OEO provide individuals, including those that choose to remain anonymous, with various methods for
reporting their concerns. If you choose to remain anonymous, you must create a personal identification code (PIC). An individual reporting a complaint anonymously yet desires to learn the outcome of the complaint must create a personal identification code (PIC) that
consists of the following six (6) alpha/numeric characters: two (2) digit day of month, first and last initials of your name and two (2) digit year. For example: 17NO12.
The PIC must be specifically stated prior to providing complaint details.
PLEASE NOTE: The personal identification code will not be saved, therefore, please remember your code. The PIC will only be used to assist the OEO in reporting the complaint outcome.
The OEO has established multiple ways to submit a complaint:
- Contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at (317) 274-2306
- Call the OEO Hotline 1 (866) 245-1310 Callers may leave voicemails. If reporting anonymously the caller must state his/her PIC before providing any complaint details, i.e. My PIC is 17NO12
- Fax or Email: The PIC should appear either in the subject line or as the first line of the complaint: PIC: 17NO12. Fax to: 317-274-3963. Email to: email@example.com
- Online Complaint Form: Click here to access form If you desire for the Office of Equal Opportunity to contact you regarding the information you have reported, please provide your contact information. If you do not wish to be contacted, your PIC remains as the only means of retrieving information about your complaint.
Information that should be included in a complaint
The OEO investigates all complaints to the best of its ability based on the information that is available. In order to thoroughly investigate a complaint, the OEO requests the following information be provided, if applicable:
- Date(s) and time(s) the incident occurred
- Name(s) of the person(s) involved
- Description of the incident(s): what happened, where, how and who else may be aware of the incident.
Please allow the OEO a minimum of 90 days to complete its investigation.
Retrieving complaint information
Due to confidentiality policies, the OEO is unable to provide specific details of the actions taken as a consequence of the investigation. The complaining party may learn the outcome of his/her (their) complaint by accessing the OEO website through the following link including his/her personal identification code (PIC). The PIC document will be a PDF document so please include .pdf at the end of the PIC filename.
For example: http://www.iupui.edu/~oeo/17NO12.pdf
The complaint outcome information will be available for up to 30 days. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity with your questions at 317-274-2306.