Faculty Guidelines: All SIG faculty advisors should be provided with this list of guidelines and expectations. This is especially important for new SIGs or SIGs whose advisor is changing.
Faculty Advisor Specific Duties include:
- Understanding national trends in their medical specialty and advising students of areas of change.
- Having a working knowledge of residency programs and providing students with information pertaining to application, interviewing, and selection of their program.
- Working with SIG leaders to develop the appropriate medium to transmit information pertinent to the specialty or the transition into residency programs to center students.
- Meeting with the SIG leaders, at a minimum, once a quarter.
- Communicating with other SIG advisors and the Office of Medical Student Affairs to provide a nidus for communication and sharing of best practices among SIG’s.
- Assist in recruiting speakers for student group-sponsored talks, student shadowing opportunities, etc.
- Help research and communicate opportunities for more student involvement, including research experiences, regional and national conference attendance, etc.
- Facilitate leadership changeover each year with assistance from the Medical Student Council leadership.
- Having a working knowledge of University Policies or acting as a liaison between SIG leaders and IU Administration to clarify these policies.
- Being aware of Medical Student Council SIG guidelines, and becoming familiar with the student group constitution, mission statement, and history.
- Working with SIG leaders to identify the appropriate medium which ensures that all center students are aware of the information outlined above.
- Providing the Medical Student Council and Office of Medical Student Affairs a yearly recommitment statement or provide an appropriate replacement recommendation to SIG leaders.
(b) Special Interest Groups (non-medical specialty) clause:
- Special Student Interest Groups that are NOT a medical specialty are required to adhere to the above policy where applicable.
(c) Advisor Replacement:
- Should an advisor find that they are no longer able to fulfill their role as described above they are welcome to notify the Office of Medical Student Affairs and/or the Vice President of Membership for the Medical Student Council.
- SIGs who find that their advisor is not fulfilling the roles listed in Sec 4.6, part (a) should notify the Dean of Medical Student Affairs.