What Sources of Money Are There?
- IUPUI Funding - Groups at the Indianapolis campus that are IUPUI Registered Student Organizations can apply for IUPUI funding. This funding source is known as SOG (Student Organization Grants) and we encourage Indy groups to take advantage of this. Each group is eligible for $3000/year, but please note that requests must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event. This funding is given on a first come first serve basis, so more money is available earlier in the year. Please see the link below for more information on how to apply. Requests are voted on by the SDFC (Student Development Funding Committee), made up of students and staff hand-selected and appointed by a Vice Chancellor level administrator at IUPUI. Requests are subject to SOG regulations, detailed at funding.iupui.edu.
- Alumni Association Grant - They match your funds to double the amount you can spend on your event. Application form below.
- Service Learning - For service-learning activities on the Indianapolis campus, there are resources and potentially funds available through the Office of Medical Service-Learning (OMSL). Official OMSL projects have a budgeted amount each year. For other project inquiries, please contact the Medical Student Service-Learning Group (MSSG) at email@example.com.
- Fundraising - Student leaders are encouraged to look at external grant sources and fundraising opportunities as well. Please note that certain university regulations may apply to certain types of fundraisers (e.g. raffles). If you have questions about this, please contact the MSC Treasurer.
- MSC Funding - Every student contributes to the mandatory ‘general fee’ that can then be used for student activities and events to enrich the experience of medical school for all Indianapolis-based medical students. For the Indianapolis campus, these fees get routed through IUPUI first, which then allocates a given amount once each semester. The MSC is here for you and wants to help you as much as possible, but keep in mind that the total budget for the year runs between $10,000-$15,000 per year and these funds are shared among over 40 SIGs. So, please be courteous in your request. We will work with you and ensure that your event can take place. Just think about controlling your costs as much as possible so we all can benefit from the funds allotted to the MSC. See the application toward the bottom of this page.
Centers - For all other campuses, requests for funding from the campus Student Activities Fund should be made directly to the campus' Student Activities Fund Committee. You can find out how to contact your committee through your Center Director. Note that for campuses outside of Indianapolis, depending on your event, you may be able to seek funding through the local university campus as well.
READ EVERYTHING BEFORE FILLING OUT YOUR FUNDING REQUEST
If over $100, you must order food for meetings/lunch talks through the Chartwells organization which has an exclusive contract on this campus. Instructions for ordering food:
- View Chartwells menu here: https://iupui.catertrax.com. They’ll need the following info:
AFTER event, drop off (or scan/email) Sign-in sheet and Hospitality Form to Kim Anderson in MS 164
- Date/Time/Location of event
- Number of anticipated participants
- Name and contact information (including phone #) for SIG
- At ‘checkout’ for payment you’ll click on “P.O” and the P.O. # will be: TBD
NOTE: students/guests generally provide their own drinks so please avoid ordering beverages.
There are a few exceptions to the Chartwells exclusivity contract which are:
- food expense less than $100
- meetings held in IU Health or other non-IU buildings on campus
- meetings held off-campus
- must use approved vendor list.
If you meet the ‘exceptions’ guidelines (above) we’ll need the following to pay vendor:
- The original, itemized receipt or invoice from Vendor
- Sign-in sheet (who attended)
- Completed Hospitality Form.
Turn the above 3 items in to Kim Anderson in MS 164 (or they can be scanned/emailed)
NON- FOOD ITEMS:
If your group is planning on purchasing supplies, equipment or services for an event, students will need to follow these steps:
- Contact treasurer to discuss items you would like to purchase; vendors approved by IU must be used for many categories of items. For example, the following all have approved vendors: tables/chairs, imprinting (t-shirts, hats, etc.), copying and promotional items.
- A purchase order (PO) will be initiated and sent to the vendor prior to the purchase.
- The vendor delivers the purchased items, or items are picked up.
- The vendor provides an invoice and receives payment directly (this will alleviate reimbursement process).
Students can be reimbursed for unexpected or emergency purchases, however the above PO process is the preferred method. Please note that these type of reimbursements are limited to $200.
Please discuss any questions on specific types of expenses with Kim Anderson or MSC Treasurer BEFORE you make such purchases, to ensure that you get reimbursed.
Forms & Examples:
MSC Treasurer, 2014