Deccember 5th, 2012: The RESPECT Center and Fairbanks Ethics Lecture Series presents Dr. Betty Ferrell
Wednesday, December 5th, 2012 at noon-1:00pm in the Riley Outpatient Center Auditorium: Betty Ferrell, Ph.D., R.N. has been in oncology nursing for 35 years and has focused her clinical expertise and research in pain management, quality of life and palliative care. Ferrell is a professor and research scientist at City of Hope in Los Angeles. She is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and she has over 300 publications in peer-reviewed journals and texts. She is principal investigator of a Program Project funded by the National Cancer Institute on "Palliative Care for Quality of Life and Symptom Concerns in Lung Cancer" and principal investigator of the "End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium" project. She directs several other funded projects related to palliative care in cancer centers and quality-of-life issues. Ferrell is a member of the board of scientific advisors of the National Cancer Institute and is chairperson of the National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care. She is also the chairperson of the Southern California Cancer Pain Initiative. She has authored eight books, including "Cancer Pain Management" (1995), a text on "Suffering" (1995), "Pain in the Elderly" (1996) and "Oxford Textbook of Palliative Nursing," published by Oxford University Press (3rd edition published in 2010). She is co-author of the text, "The Nature of Suffering and the Goals of Nursing," published in 2008 by Oxford University Press and "Making Health Care Whole: Integrating Spirituality into Patient Care" (Templeton Press, 2010). Ferrell completed a master's degree in theology, ethics and culture from Claremont Graduate University in 2007.
- September 12, 2012: Dr. Sarah Elizabeth Friebert - State of the Art and Science in Pediatric Palliative Care
- May 31 - June 2, 2012: International Society of Advance Care Planning & End of Life Care Conference
- March 7 - 10, 2012: American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Annual Assembly
- February 16, 2012: Start-up Presentation for Stories through Music for Adolescent/Young Adult Resilience during Treatment & Parents
- February 1, 2012: Dr. Robert M Arnold - Listen: Dealing with Conflicts with Families of Critically Ill Patients*
- December 7, 2011: Dr. Susan Mitchell - The Clinical Course of Advanced Dementia*
*Video of past Fairbanks / RESPECT Center co-sponsored Lecture Series presentations can be found at the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center website.