Skip page navigation

Study Abroad and Financial Aid

Participating in the Study Abroad program through IUPUI gives students a chance to obtain credit for their major, minor, or for their general education, but in a different type of learning environment. Students can work with the Study Abroad Office to determine what program would best fit their interests. The program may last a few weeks, a semester, or even an entire year. It is a great opportunity for students to expand their global perspective while also attending classes and receiving credit.

For more information about the Study Abroad Program, please visit their website at

What types of aid aim I eligible for if I participate in Study Abroad?
Most financial aid may be applied to IUPUI and IU-sponsored programs. Financial aid is usually in the form of loans, grants, or scholarships. You must register for at least six credit hours for the term you will study abroad.

Some financial aid will not apply for overseas programs. For example co-sponsored programs through IU (e.g., IES, CIEE) or external programs will not allow you to use the fee benefit, FSA awards, fee remissions, or assistance to children of disabled veterans. In order for those awards to apply, you must be paying actual tuition costs either at IUPUI, IUPUC or another IU campus.

What is the process to set up financial aid for my study abroad program?
order to be eligible you must have a current FAFSA on file, along with meeting all other criteria, such as meeting our Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. There are also three different types of programs for study abroad. Please review the grid below for further enrollment and requirements.

IUPUI Programs

You will enroll in the IUPUI course assigned to the program.

IU Programs

You must complete the Consortium Agreement for Study Abroad. This requires your academic advisorís signature. Please submit the form to our office. You will also register for the course at the IU institution where it is offered

Non-IU Programs

You need to get approval for non-IU programs. The Study Abroad Office will help you register for a placeholder course and our office will process your aid based on your enrollment in the program.

PLEASE NOTE: Financial aid is not disbursed until the beginning of the respective term. Be prepared to make certain program payments in advance. Contact financial aid early to determine your financial aid eligibility and make sure your aid information is set.

For more information about study abroad and financial aid, please visit these resources:
Financial aid FAQs and Scholarship Information