The federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a low interest rate loan for parents that can be used to help pay for the college education of a dependent undergraduate child. Graduate students may apply for a federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan for themselves.
The maximum amount you can borrow is the student’s cost of attendance minus other aid received by the student. One of the eligibility requirements to receive a Direct PLUS Loan is that the applicant must not have an adverse credit history. This is a credit-based loan; therefore you must pass a credit check that will be performed by the lender in order to be eligible for this loan. There may be loan processing fees taken out by the Department of Education before the funds are sent to the school.
Note: Parents applying for Direct PLUS Loan must be careful to use the correct Social Security Number (SSN) – errors will cause you to have to complete a new application with the correct SSN so that we can match the records.
• You must have an official FAFSA on file and have been reviewed for financial aid eligibility before this loan request may be considered. If your parent’s credit was approved, the loan request will be reviewed and processed. If your parent’s credit was denied, and they have indicated they would not pursue the loan, you will automatically be reviewed for additional unsubsidized loan eligibility.
• As Graduate students you must have an official FAFSA on file and have been reviewed for financial aid eligibility before this loan request may be considered. If you are approved, the loan request will be reviewed and processed. If your credit was denied and you wish to discuss other aid options, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services. firstname.lastname@example.org (Email)
• Complete Master Promissory Notes
• Direct PLUS Loan Requests
• Disclosure Statements and Direct PLUS Loan Correspondence
If you have received an adverse credit decision, you may still be eligible to receive a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. In order to become eligible, however, there are actions you will need to take. For more information, go to StudentLoans.gov to read about how to Document Extenuating Circumstances.
Federal Direct PLUS Loan Information
IUPUI participates in the federal Direct Loan program for all Federal Direct PLUS Loans.
Direct Loan Information:
Lender: U.S. Department of Education
Loan processing fees: For Direct PLUS Loans (for both parent and graduate student borrowers) first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2015, and before Oct. 1, 2016, the loan origination fee is 4.272%. For example, the fee on a $10,000 Direct PLUS Loan is $427.20. Direct Loan Fees.
Repayment begins: PLUS Borrowers—The repayment period for a Direct PLUS Loan begins at the time the PLUS loan is fully disbursed, and the first payment is due within 60 days after the final disbursement. However, a graduate student PLUS Loan borrower (as well as a parent PLUS borrower who is also a student) can defer repayment while the borrower is enrolled at least half-time and, for PLUS loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, for an additional six months after the borrower is no longer enrolled at least half-time. Note: Direct Loans will set Grad PLUS loans as “deferred”; if the Graduate Student wants to make principle and interest payments they should contact Direct Loans. Interest that accrues during these periods will be capitalized if not paid by the borrower during the deferment.
Direct Parent PLUS Loan borrowers whose loans were first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008 may choose to have repayment deferred while the student for whom the parent borrowed is enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after that student is no longer enrolled at least half-time. Interest that accrues during these periods will be capitalized if not paid by the parent during the deferment. Repayment (excluding deferments) begins sixty days after the loan is fully disbursed or approximately in:
• October for Fall only loans
• February for academic year or Spring only loans
• July for Summer loans
Repayment benefits: 0.25% interest rate reduction when you sign up for auto-debit of your monthly payments
Repayment options: flexible repayment options including income driven options and loan terms ranging from 10 to 30 years, including a loan consolidation option