Skip page navigation

Information for International Students

The U.S. Department of Education determines eligibility for federal financial assistance. Federal financial assistance eligibility requires the student to qualify as a U.S. citizen or as an eligible noncitizen.

Generally, a student is an eligible noncitizen if he or she is:

    •   A U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551);
    •   A conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or
    •   The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security
        showing any of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted,” “Parolee” (I-94 must
        confirm paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or “Cuban-Haitian
    •   Holder of a valid certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human
        Servcies showing a designation of “Victim of human trafficking”

If the student is in the United States on an F-1, F-2, or M-1 Student Visa; a J-1 or J-2 Exchange Visitors Visa; or a G series Visa, she or he is not eligible for federal student financial aid. Other noncitizens may qualify.  For additional information about noncitizen eligibility, please visit

If the student meets the eligibility criteria, he or she can apply for federal aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) listing IUPUI’s school code (001813). For additional general financial aid eligibility information, visit the Eligibility section.

Additional Resources:
If the student is neither a U.S. citizen nor an eligible noncitizen, she or he is not eligible for federal financial aid. However the student may be eligible for other types of aid such as private loans and scholarships. For more information, contact the following offices:

IUPUI Office of International Affairs
IUPUI Office of Student Scholarships