Skip page navigation

Applying for Financial Aid at IUPUI

General Eligibility Requirements

To receive most types of aid, students must meet the following criteria:

Degree Seeking
Students must be admitted to enroll in a degree-granting program of study or eligible certificate program of study. Additionally, students that are admitted and enrolled in coursework required for Teacher Certification are eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans at the fifth-year undergraduate loan level.

Note: Non-degree seeking students admitted to complete course work to qualify for admission may qualify for a maximum of one calendar year of eligibility for Federal Direct Loans based on the completion and submission of the Non-Degree Prerequisite Certification Form and the FAFSA for the appropriate aid year.

Citizen/Eligible Noncitizen
You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

• U.S. Citizen (U.S. national)
• Eligible noncitizen
      • A U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551);
      • A conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or
      • The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security
       showing any of the following designations: “Refugee,” “Asylum Granted, “Parolee” (I-94
       confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or “Cuban-Haitian
      • Holder of a valid certification or eligibility letter from the Department of Health and Human
       Servcies showing a designation of “Victim of human trafficking”

If you are in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa or a G series visa, then you are not eligible for federal student aid.

For most types of financial aid, you must be enrolled at least half-time. Half-time status is considered to be at least six (6) credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and at least (4) credit hours per semester for graduate students.

For more information on enrollment and how it affects the amount of your financial aid, please go to Enrollment Status and Your Financial Aid Awards.

Satisfactory Academic Progress and Financial Aid Eligibility
Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to qualify to receive financial aid. The Office of Student Financial Services monitors your academic progress based on guidelines established by the federal government.

Selective Service
If required by law, you must register, or arrange to register, with Selective Service to receive federal student aid. Almost all male U.S. citizens regardless of where they live, and male immigrant aliens residing in the U.S., are required to be registered with Selective Service if they are at least 18 years old but are not yet 26 years old.

Not be in "Default" or owe an "Overpayment" on previous Federal Aid
You must not be in default on a student loan. Default is the failure to repay a loan according to the terms agreed to when the student signs a promissory note. Default may also result from failure to submit requests for deferment or cancellation on time.

If you are in default on a student loan, your school, the lender or agency that holds the loan, the state, and the federal government may all take action to recover the money, including notifying national credit bureaus of the student's default. This affects the student's credit rating.

In addition, if you are in default, the agency holding the loan may ask your employer to deduct payments from your paycheck. Also, you are liable for expenses incurred in collecting the loan. If you decide to return to school, you are not entitled to receive any more federal student aid. The U.S. Department of Education may ask the Internal Revenue Service to withhold your income tax refund and apply it toward the amount owed.

Overpayment occurs when students receive more aid than he or she was eligible to receive. Please review your SAR (Student Aid Report) carefully if you are in overpayment of federal student aid funds in order to receive information on who holds the overpayment and whom you may contact for further information. We must receive confirmation that the overpayment is resolved before we may award any financial assistance.

Conviction of Possession or Sale of Drugs
A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify you for federal student aid if the offense occurred while you were receiving federal student aid. For additional information, please see the worksheet available at FAFSA on the Web.

Incarcerated Students
Incarcerated students are not eligible for federal student loans but are eligible for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants and Federal Work Study. They are also eligible for Federal Pell Grants if not incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution. A student is not considered to be incarcerated if residing in a half-way house or home detention or is sentenced to serve only on weekends.

FAFSA Reject Status or Edits
After submission of the FAFSA, students are responsible to check the status of their FAFSA to make corrections if applicable. Students can usually make corrections to resolve a FAFSA reject status themselves. These FAFSA problems will also result in a To Do List item(s) which will appear in the student's account beginning in March.

The state of Indiana requires that edits be corrected each year in order to be considered for state aid.  To determine if your FAFSA has edits to fix, visit ScholarTrack, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education award portal.  If edits are present, make corrections at