Skip page navigation

Enrollment Status and Undergraduate Financial Aid Awards

Some financial aid award amounts are determined by your enrollment status at different points throughout the semester. Waitlist hours are not counted when determining enrollment status. If you have questions regarding waitlists, please see the Office of Registrarís webpage on Commonly Asked Questions about the IUPUI Waitlist System.

Before you drop a class we encourage you to review this chart to see how your enrollment level may impact your aid eligibility. You may want to discuss the impact of dropping courses on your financial aid awards with a financial aid counselor.

Chart: Enrollment Level Imapct on Aid

Federal Pell Grants

If you have received a Federal Pell Grant, remember the amount of your award is determined by your enrollment status at the end of the 100% tuition refund period. Therefore, be sure to finalize your schedule prior to the end of the 100% tuition refund period each semester.

State O’Bannon and 21st Century Scholars Awards

State O'Bannon and/or the 21st Century Scholars Grant eligible students are required to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours through the 25% tuition refund period. If you have not been enrolled in 12 credit hours, your award would not have applied to your Bursar account and we will remove the award from your financial aid account. If you enroll in at least 12 credit hours on or before the 25% tuition refund period we will re-award your grant and it should be available to view in your account the following week.

If you were originally enrolled in 12 credit hours but have dropped below 12 credit hours and originally received a credit for your award, your entire semester O'Bannon and/or 21st Century Scholars Grant will be removed from your account. This may create a balance on your Bursar account that will need to be repaid.


To receive most types of student loans, including Federal Perkins, Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized, Direct PLUS and Grad PLUS, you must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours for undergraduate students or four credit hours for graduate and professional students).

Complete Withdrawal

If you received a refund of federal financial aid and you withdraw or cancel your enrollment prior to the start of classes; we are required to review your account to determine if your financial aid may need to be cancelled.

If you fully withdraw from your coursework after classes have begun, you must go through the Return of Title IV Funds process. For more information on this process, please visit: