Skip page navigation

IUPUI: Passport Agreement - FAQ

What is the Passport program?
Passport is a coordinated program between Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana and Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). Passport strives to increase course and degree articulations between institutions, maintains advising offices at both campuses, offers cooperative student services, facilitates shared access to student records, offers IUPUI Passport scholarships and promotes student life programs. The goal of the Passport office is to make the transfer of credit and/or degrees between the two institutions as seamless as possible.
For more information or to enroll in the Passport program, visit, email or call IUPUI at (317) 278-2630 or IvyTech at (317) 917-5720.

What campuses participate in the Passport program?
The Passport program is between IUPUI and the Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana campuses only.  Classes taken at other campuses (including online classes through another campus) will not be included in the financial agreement.  However, both schools may enter into a consortium agreement with other institutions outside of the Passport program. Click here to visit the list of approved Central Indiana campuses.

Can I receive financial aid to pay for my classes at both campuses?
Yes, if you meet the eligibility requirements (see below), you may be able to receive financial aid to assist with the costs of attending both IUPUI and Ivy Tech Community College - Central Indiana.

What are the eligibility requirements to receive financial aid in the Passport program?
To be eligible to receive financial aid in the Passport program, you must:
•  Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) listing the HOME school
      • IUPUI Code: 001813
      • IvyTech Code: 009917
•  Provide any requested documentation to the HOME school
•  Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards at the HOME school
•  Complete the Passport Financial Agreement each semester before the posted deadline
•  Enroll in at least 3 credit hours at each school (total of 6 credit hours minimum)

Why do I need to complete the Passport Financial Agreement?  Can’t I just get financial aid at both schools?
You can only receive financial aid at your degree school for a particular enrollment period.  Therefore, you cannot receive aid at both schools during the same semester.  The Passport Agreement must be completed each semester in order to avoid any overpayment of financial aid funds.  You must complete the form in order for your financial aid to be determined based on your overall enrollment at both schools.

Can I use the Passport agreement for any class?
The Passport program is intended for undergraduate students taking courses that are required for your degree.  Only classes that will apply to your degree objective will be included when determining your financial aid eligibility.  Graduate students are not eligible to receive financial aid under the Passport program.

How do I know which school is my HOME school and which school is my HOST school?
Your HOME school:
•  Is where you are regularly enrolled and earning your degree
•  Is responsible for processing and monitoring your financial aid
•  Accepts transfer credits that will apply toward your degree

Your HOST school:
•  Is where you are visiting to complete classes that will transfer back to your degree program
•  Agrees not to process financial aid for the semester specified on the agreement

When do I have to turn in my agreement?
The Passport Financial Agreement must be completed each semester. It is best to turn it in prior to classes starting. Based on when you submit your agreement, you can be considered for all aid, until the census dates pass. Pell has a census date at the end of the first week of classes and state aid has a census date at the end of the fourth week of classes.

How long does this process take?
•  You should allow approximately one month for the entire process to be completed:
•  1 week for academic advisor section
•  1 - 2 weeks for HOST school to complete their section and return to student/HOME school
   •  You should check with your HOST school Financial Aid Office to determine if you need to
      pick up the form once completed or if they will send it directly to the HOME school Financial
      Aid Office. 
•  1 - 2 weeks for HOME school to verify enrollment and process your financial aid awards
Financial aid funds cannot be disbursed until this process is complete.  You are responsible for any charges to your Bursar account at both schools until your financial aid has been awarded. 

How does my bill get paid at my HOST school?
You are responsible for paying your charges at the HOST school, including tuition, fees and books.  The HOME school will not make payments directly to the HOST school, except for SFA awards.  If you receive a refund from your financial aid at your HOME school, you are expected to use part of the funds to pay for your expenses at your HOST school.

SFA awards will be paid directly from the HOME school to the HOST school.  SFA awards can only be used to cover tuition and mandatory fees.  Your SFA award amount may not be high enough to cover all of your charges at both schools, so you should be prepared to make other arrangements to cover the balance of your tuition/fees if necessary.

Can I use my CVO benefits in the Passport program?
Yes, students who qualify for the CVO award are eligible to use the award at both schools.  In order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria at BOTH schools:
•  Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with both schools listed
•  Submit any requested documentation to either school’s Financial Aid Office, including verification
•  Submit a valid, signed and stamped original CVO form to each school’s Financial Aid Office
•  Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) criteria at each school

What happens if I drop/withdraw from a class while receiving aid in the Passport program?
Before dropping or withdrawing from a class at either campus, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at your HOME school.  Your financial aid awards may be adjusted to reflect your new enrollment status.  If you drop or withdraw from a class at your HOST school, you must immediately notify the Financial Aid Office at your HOME school (per the signed Passport Financial Agreement you submitted).

Who should I contact if I have more questions?
Questions about the Passport program or how to enroll in the program:

    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (317) 278-4545
    •  Web:

   Ivy Tech
    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (317) 917-5720

Questions about using financial aid for Passport classes (contact your HOME school):

   IUPUI Office of Student Financial Services
    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (317) 274-4162
    •  Web:

   Ivy Tech - Central Indiana Financial Aid Office
    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (317) 921-4777
    •  Web: