Skip page navigation

IUPUC: Financial Assistance Agreement - FAQ

What is the IUPUC Financial Assistance Agreement?
The Financial Assistance Agreement is a coordinated program between Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus Indiana and Indiana University Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC). This program strives to increase course and degree articulations between institutions, offers cooperative student services, and promotes student life programs.

What campuses participate in the Financial Assistance program?
The Financial Assistance Agreement is between IUPUC and the Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus Indiana campuses only.  Classes taken at other campuses (including online classes through another Ivy Tech campus) will not be included in the financial agreement. 

Doesn't IUPUI have a program similar to IUPUC's Financial Assistance Agreement?
Yes, IUPUI and Ivy Tech Community College-Central Indiana have a similar program which is called the Passport Agreement. However, these two agreements are not interchangeable; the Passport Agreement is only valid for IUPUI & Ivy Tech-Central Indiana courses, and the Financial Assistance Agreement is only valid for IUPUC & Ivy Tech-Columbus Indiana classes.

Can I receive financial aid to pay for my classes at both campuses?
Yes, if you meet the eligibility requirements (see below), you may be able to receive financial aid to assist with the costs of attending both IUPUC and Ivy Tech Community College - Columbus Indiana.

What are the eligibility requirements to receive financial aid in the Financial Assistance program?
To be eligible to receive financial aid while taking classes at both institutions, you must:
•  Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with HOME school code. (IUPUC
   E01033; Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus 010038)
•  Provide any requested documentation to your HOME school
•  Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards at your HOME school
•  Complete the Financial Assistance Agreement each semester before the posted deadline
•  Enroll in at least 3 credit hours at each school (total of 6 credit hours minimum)

Why do I need to complete the Financial Assistance Agreement?  Can’t I just get financial aid at both schools?
You can only receive financial aid at your degree seeking school for a particular enrollment period.  Therefore, you cannot receive aid at both schools during the same semester.  The Financial Assistance Agreement must be completed each semester in order to avoid any overpayment of financial aid funds.  By federal regulations, you must complete the form in order for your financial aid to be determined based on your overall enrollment at both schools.

Can I use the Financial Assistance Agreement for any class?
The Financial Assistance Agreement program is intended for undergraduate students taking courses that are required for your degree. Only classes that will apply to your degree objective will be included when determining your financial aid eligibility.

How do I know which school is my HOME school and which school is my HOST school?
Your HOME school:
•  Is where you are regularly enrolled and earning your degree
•  Is responsible for processing and monitoring your financial aid
•  Accepts transfer credits that will apply toward your degree

Your HOST school:
•  Is where you are visiting to complete classes that will transfer back to your degree program
•  Agrees not to process financial aid for the semester specified on the agreement

When do I have to turn in my Financial Assistance Agreement?
The Financial Assistance Agreement must be completed each semester. It is best to turn it in prior to classes starting.  Based on when you submit your agreement, you can be considered for all aid, until the census dates pass.  The Federal Pell Grant has a census date at the end of the first week of classes and state aid has a census date at the end of the fourth week of classes.

How long does this process take?
You should allow approximately one month for the entire process to be completed: 
•  1 week for academic advisor section
•  1 - 2 weeks for HOST school to complete their section and return to student/HOME school
•  1 - 2 weeks for HOME school to verify enrollment and process your financial aid awards

Financial aid funds cannot be disbursed until this process is complete.  You are responsible for any charges to your Bursar account at both schools until your financial aid has been awarded. 

How does my bill get paid at my HOST school?
You are responsible for paying your charges at the HOST school, including tuition, fees and books.  The HOME school will not make payments directly to the HOST school, except for ICHE awards.  If you receive a refund from your financial aid at your HOME school, you are expected to use the funds to pay for your expenses at your HOST school.

ICHE awards will be paid directly from the HOME school to the HOST school.  SFA awards can only be used to cover tuition and mandatory fees.  Your SFA award amount may not be high enough to cover all of your charges at both schools, so you should be prepared to make other arrangements to cover the balance of your tuition/fees if necessary.

Can I use my CVO benefits in the Financial Assistance program?
Yes, students who qualify for the CVO award are eligible to use the award at both schools.  In order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria at BOTH schools:

•  Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with both schools listed (IUPUC
  E01033; Ivy Tech Community College-Columbus 009917)
•  Submit any requested documentation to either school’s Financial Aid Office, including
  verification documentation
•  Make sure that your CVO eligibility is on file with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education.
  You can check your status or submit your documentation through your ScholarTrack account.
  (Note: you are limited to 124 total CVO hours.)
•  Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) criteria at each school

What happens if I drop/withdraw from a class while receiving aid in the Financial Assistance program?
Before dropping or withdrawing from a class at either campus, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at your HOME school.  Your financial aid awards may be adjusted to reflect your new enrollment status.  If you drop or withdraw from a class at your HOST school, you must immediately notify the Financial Aid Office at your HOME school to assess the impact on your financial aid.

Who should I contact if I have more questions?

Questions about the Financial Assistance program or how to enroll in the program:
    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (812) 348-7390
    •  Web:

Questions about using financial aid for Financial Assistance Agreement classes (contact your HOME school):
   IUPUC - Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (812) 348-7231
    •  Web:

   Ivy Tech - Columbus Indiana Financial Aid Office
    •  Email:
    •  Phone: (812) 374-5207
    •  Web: