Creating and exchanging knowledge that promotes understanding of the human experience.
As one of the premier sites of liberal arts education, scholarship, professional service, and civic engagement in the state of Indiana, the School of Liberal Arts will contribute to the social, cultural and economic development of the state, and will foster life-long learning that engenders commitment to civil society through an engaged and educated citizenry.
Our Core Values
A liberal arts education is rooted in reflection, teaching and learning, scholarship, and service to people across cultures and over time. To promote a better understanding of a complex world, the School of Liberal Arts builds on this tradition and reflects it in our core values:
- Student learning: We provide an intellectual climate and curriculum that challenges students to think critically, communicate clearly and achieve in their chosen fields.
- Diversity: Diversity encompasses the complexities of human beings and includes, but is not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual preference, age, physical and mental differences, religious identification, and social class. We believe the educational environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to learn.
- Excellence: We seek excellence - quality rather than quantity - in the areas of teaching and learning, research and creative activity, and civic engagement and professional service.
- Collaboration with the community: We value civic involvement as a way of enriching the academic environment, engaging citizens and enhancing our constituent communities.
- Interdisciplinary, international and multicultural approaches: We take a broad perspective on intellectual questions, civic engagement, and the education of students in order to provide a well-rounded education.
- Stewardship: We steward the resources of the School of Liberal Arts - and measure their impact - in the most effective, efficient, ethical, and timely manner possible.
- Collegiality: Students, staff, and faculty are joined in a collaborative partnership characterized by mutual respect to promote the vision and mission of the School of Liberal Arts.
- Accessibility: As a public institution, we are dedicated to making a high quality education as accessible as possible for all students through flexible scheduling, loans, scholarships and other means.