Selecting a Major

Students who meet the regular admission criteria for IUPUI, as well as any additional school admission criteria, and who indicate the major/program that they wish to study when they apply, are granted dual admission to University College and the degree-granting school housing their major. This dual admission is offered on the conditions that students (1) are not required to take refresher courses following their placement tests; (2) are enrolled in a first-year seminar; (3) have attended orientation and have been advised; and (4) have had satisfactory midterm performance.

Other students will move to their schools during their first 56 credit hours of study, during which time students should be completing general-education requirements and other courses necessary for admission into their chosen school or program. Since these courses vary widely from one program to the next, students should refer to the University College checksheets and this bulletin to ensure that courses count toward their degree.

Additional Options Available
Double Majors

While most students complete only one major within their program of study, some schools permit students to complete two majors within a school. To do so, the student must complete the requirements for each of the two majors as well as all other school requirements for a degree. Students seeking a double major must consult advisors from each of the departments in which they propose to study. Usually, the student must receive the approval of the school advisor or school dean of students to do so.

Dual Degrees

While most students work on a single degree at a time, a student may work on what is essentially two degrees in two different schools at IUPUI simultaneously (e.g., a B.A. from Indiana University in English and a B.S. from Purdue University in psychology). Such a dual degree can be obtained by completing all requirements in the two schools for the two different degrees. Some, but not all; courses can be used to satisfy requirements in both schools. Working on dual degrees must be approved by the appropriate advisors and deans in both schools. 


Students in many schools may take one or more minors along with their majors. Minors do not appear on the student’s transcript until graduation. Students majoring in one school often can elect to complete minors in other schools.

Minors are structured programs generally of 15 to 18 credit hours, though they may require more. They are of three types: (1) departmental or single-discipline minors, (2) interdisciplinary or cross-discipline minors, and (3) thematic minors.

In most schools, only courses in which students receive at least a C (2.0) can be applied to the minor. Listings of minors available and the specific requirements for minors are described in each school’s bulletin section.


Certificate programs resemble minors but generally require more credit hours. Some certificate programs are stand-alone programs, which means that a student does not have to be working toward a two- or four-year degree to complete a certificate program. In most schools, only courses in which students receive at least a C (2.0) can be applied to the certificate program, while in some schools students may be permitted to average all grades required in the certificate program. Specific requirements and grade policies can be found in the section for the school offering the certificate.

Second Undergraduate Degrees

Normally, holders of bachelor’s degrees seeking further education are encouraged to enter graduate programs; in certain cases, however, students may prefer to work toward a second bachelor’s degree. IUPUI strongly recommends that students discuss current requirements with an advisor before starting work on a second undergraduate degree. If admitted by a school to candidacy for a second degree, students may count credits earned in their first bachelor’s degree. However, they must meet the school’s requirements, including residence requirements, distribution course work, work in the major, and other requirements not fulfilled by earlier work. Some schools may specify the number of credit hours that must be taken above and beyond the credit hours from the first degree.

Changing Units
University College's goal is to launch students on a successful college career. Once the transition from high school to college, or from workplace to college, has occurred, University College focuses on moving students into their degree-granting programs and schools. The faculty require that, at minimum, students must successfully complete a learning community course, be enrolled in or eligible to enroll in ENG W131, be enrolled in or be eligible to enroll in MATH 111, attain a minimum GPA of 2.0, and complete 12 credit hours in order to certify to a degree-granting school. Many schools have more requirements. Refresher courses do not count toward students' degrees, but do count toward the students' standing as full- or part-time degree-seeking students for financial aid and insurance purposes.

Students on probation must fulfill their contractual agreements and achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be removed from probationary status. When students meet the admission requirements for their degree-granting school requirements, they are eligible for certification to that school. Students remain in University College until they (1) meet the conditions for admission into their desired school; or (2) earn too many credit hours to remain in University College, (see the section below titled "The 56 Credit Hour Rule."). 
Admission into Degree-Granting Programs from University College

Some schools accept all students with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or other specified GPA. In such schools, students can change schools or programs by officially declaring a major with their advisor and/or contacting the school to which they wish to be admitted. To be sure that they are eligible to transfer, students should consult the school recorder. 

Other schools require both a set GPA and the completion of a set of specific courses with a specific GPA. In such schools, it is more difficult to determine a student’s eligibility. Such schools often have a formal application.

Admission into Capped (Limited Enrollment) Programs

Admission to IUPUI schools is often competitive. Schools may limit their applicant pool to students with a specified minimum GPA, and if selected for application, students may be asked to take part in an interview as part of the admission process. It is important for students to fully understand the entrance requirements of the school or program in which they hope to enroll. Students who are not accepted after one or two tries should work with an advisor to select an alternate program of study.

The 56 Credit Hour Rule

IUPUI encourages students to explore a variety of majors, but after accumulating about 26 credit hours, students should select a degree program. Once a student has completed 56 credit hours (or has 56 credit hours of transfer credit), he or she will be granted 24 credit hours to complete the requirements to be accepted into a degree program or apply to the General Studies degree program. The 56 credit hour rule may be waived for students pursuing academic programs that require the completion of more than 80 credit hours for admission.

Procedures for Changing Schools/Programs at IUPUI

To transfer from one IUPUI school to another, students should contact the recorder of the school to which they wish to transfer to find out if they have met the necessary requirements. University College students should contact the University College recorder. Acceptance by the new school requires the approval of the appropriate school dean.

Students may also wish to change majors within a school, for instance, changing from criminal justice to urban affairs in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) or from chemistry to biology in the School of Science. Again, students should contact their school’s recorder to determine their eligibility and consider the consequences of such a change.

Change of IU Campus
IU students who want to enroll at another Indiana University campus on a temporary or permanent basis should initiate the process by visiting  More information on enrollment at another IU campus, including any restrictions and deadlines, can be found on the site. To enroll at another Purdue University campus, students should contact the Office of Admissions at the appropriate Purdue campus.

Students considering permanent transfers should remember that degree requirements vary on different campuses, whether at IU or Purdue. Transferring may require a year or more of additional full-time study, especially if the transfer is made in the junior or senior year.