Undergraduate Programs

General Requirements

  1. A minimum of 124 credit hours (a minimum of 122 for environmental science and geology) must be completed. Approval must be obtained from the School of Science to use as credit toward graduation any course that was completed 10 or more years previously.

  2. A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is required.

  3. A minimum of 24 credit hours must be taken in a major subject (see departmental requirements) with a minimum grade point average of 2.0. No grade below C- is acceptable in the major subject.

  4. At least four courses totaling a minimum of 12 credit hours in the major subject must be completed at IUPUI (see departmental requirements).

  5. Residence at IUPUI for at least two semesters and completion, while at IUPUI, of at least 32 credit hours of work in courses at the 300 level or higher are required.

  6. With the approval of the Executive Director of Academic Affairs or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, students who have had at least four semesters of resident study may complete up to 15 credit hours of the senior year at another approved college or university.

  7. Courses taken on the Pass/Fail option may be applied only as general electives and not toward degree area requirements of the school or department. Courses taken on the Pass/Fail option may apply to the 32 credit hours residency requirement listed in item 5 if the course is at the 300-level or higher.

  8. No more than 64 credit hours earned in accredited junior colleges can be applied toward a degree.

  9. Students may enroll in independent study (correspondence) courses for general electives up to a maximum of 12 credit hours with permission of the Executive Director of Academic Affairs or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Independent study (correspondence) courses may not apply to the 32 credit hours residency requirement listed in item 5.

  10. With permission of the appropriate department, credit may be earned through special credit examination. Credits earned by special credit examination may be used toward the total credit hours required and to satisfy area requirements for a degree.

  11. The following courses do not count for any credit toward any degree program in the School of Science: AGR 10100; BIOL-N120; BUS-K201, BUS-K204; CSCI-N100-level courses; CIT 10600; all remedial and developmental courses; EDUC-U205, EDUC-W200, EDUC-W201, EDUC-X100, EDUC-X150, EDUC-X151, EDUC-X152; ENG-G010, ENG-G011, ENG-G012, ENG-W001, ENG-W031, ENG-W130; MATH-M010, MATH 00100, MATH-M001, MATH 00200, MATH 11000, MATH 11100, MATH 12300, MATH 13000, MATH 13200, MATH 13600; PHYS 01000; UCOL-U112, UCOL-U210.

    NOTE: This is not a complete list. The School and department reserve the right to exclude course credit when it is deemed as overlapping with other earned credit or it is determined to be remedial in nature.

    • Unless approved as part of the major, note that all courses taken outside the Schools of Science and Liberal Arts must receive approval from the School of Science Academic Dean’s Office. Consult with your major department or the School of Science Academic Dean’s Office for additional course restrictions.

    • Note that CHEM-C100 may count for general elective credit only if the student has not already established credit in CHEM-C101 or CHEM-C105/CHEM-C106, or equivalent courses. Otherwise, CHEM-C100 does not count for credit in any given degree program.

    • Note that if credit has been established for both GEOL-G132 and GEOL-G107, then only GEOL-G107 may apply to Area IIIC. In this case, GEOL-G132 may count as a general elective provided that credit was established in GEOL-G132 preceding GEOL-G107.

  1. Courses taken outside of the Schools of Science and Liberal Arts must receive departmental approval. No more than 6 credit hours of studio, clinical, athletic, or performing arts course work will be approved. Consult a school or departmental advisor.
  2. An application for a degree or certificate and a CAND 99100 authorization form must be filed with the Director of Student Records and Retention in the School of Science, Science Building, LD 222. Applications and CAND 99100 forms are due by February 1 for August graduation; May 1 for December graduation; and October 1 for May graduation.
    • Students should also register for the appropriate section of CAND 99100 (0 credit hours) during their final semester before graduation. Degree candidates for December, May, or August graduation of a particular academic year may participate in the May Commencement.
    • In general, credit is not allowed for both of two overlapping courses. Examples of course overlaps include (NOTE: This is not a complete list.):
  • BIOL-N100 and BIOL-K101/BIOL-K103
  • BIOL-N212/BIOL-N213 and BIOL-N217
  • BIOL-N214/BIOL-N215 and BIOL-N261
  • CHEM-C101/CHEM-121 and CHEM-C105 and/or CHEM-C106
  • CHEM-C102 and CHEM-C341/CHEM-C343
  • CHEM-C110 and CHEM-C341
  • CHEM-C110/CHEM-C115 and CHEM-C341/CHEM-C343
  • CHEM-C360 and CHEM-C361
  • CHEM-C325 and CHEM-C410/CHEM-C411
  • GEOL-G110 and GEOG-G107
  • GEOL-G185 and GEOG-G185
  • MATH-M119 and MATH 22100 or MATH 23100 or MATH 16300 or MATH 16500
  • MATH 15100 or 15900 and MATH 15300/15400
  • MATH 15100 and MATH 15900
  • MATH 22100/MATH 22200 and MATH 23100/MATH 23200
  • MATH 22100/MATH 22200 and MATH 16300/MATH 16400 or MATH 16500/MATH 16600
  • MATH 23100/MATH 23200 and MATH 16300/MATH 16400 or MATH 16500/MATH 16600
  • MATH 16300 and MATH 16500
  • MATH 16400 and MATH 16600
  • PHYS-P201/PHYS-P202 or PHYS 21800/PHYS 21900 and PHYS 15200/PHYS 25100
  • PSY-B320 and BIOL-L391 Addictions (IU East)
  • SCI-I120 and UCOL-U110
  • STAT 30100 and PSY-B305
  • In addition, any course that is retaken is considered an overlap. Consult with your academic advisor regarding other overlapping courses.
  1. See statements about required First-Year Experience Course and Senior Capstone Experience in the description of the Bachelor of Arts degree and the Bachelor of Science degree programs.