Graduate Programs

General Graduate Regulations and Information

English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Placement Test

The IUPUI EAP Program and the Office of International Affairs have joined together to administer the required English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Placement Test for students whose native language is not English. All international students must take this test before registering for classes, even if they have taken the TOEFL. Because this is a placement test used to accurately determine English language skill level, students do not need to prepare for it. The scores are used to exempt or to assign students to the EAP classes that best meet their academic needs and that will provide the favorable English experiences necessary for a successful career at IUPUI. Students are required to begin the assigned EAP courses during their first or second semester on campus. The EAP Placement Test takes approximately three hours to complete and it tests the students' reading, listening, and writing skills. For more information, visit the EAP Program web site (

Students register in advance for the EAP placement test and pay a testing fee. Students must either be admitted to study at IUPUI or have filed an admission application in order to register for the test. For further EAP test registration and course and program information, contact the EAP Program at (317) 274-2188, Cavanaugh Hall 341, or write

English Proficiency

Applicants, except those whose native language is English, are expected to submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL is given worldwide throughout the year. Information on testing dates, locations, and costs may be obtained by viewing at:

IUPUI's school code number for the TOEFL application is 1325. All Purdue University and Indiana University Graduate School graduate teaching assistants/instructors whose native language is not English must demonstrate adequate oral English proficiency before being assigned duties involving direct instruction of students.

GRE (Graduate Record Examination)

Applicants may be required to take the Graduate Record Examination General Test, Subject Test, or both (see departmental requirements). Information concerning this exam may be obtained online at
Students may also call a Sylvan Learning Center to schedule the GRE. It is particularly important that the GRE be taken if the applicant:

  1. is seeking admission to a department that requests it (see individual departmental requirements);
  2. wishes to be considered for a fellowship;
  3. feels that the previous academic record does not adequately reflect the applicant's ability;
  4. received the baccalaureate degree from an unaccredited institution.
International Students

There are special application procedures for those who are not citizens of the United States or who have had their previous schooling outside the United States. Such individuals should obtain the International Application packet from the Office of International Affairs (Education/Social Work, ES 2126). Information is also available online at

Once enrolled, international students who wish to change their program of study must first obtain the approval of the Office of International Affairs. When such approval is granted, application for formal change of status may then be made to the appropriate school according to the same procedures governing United States citizens.
International students must enroll in at least 8 credit hours each fall and spring semester in order to meet visa requirements. Any exceptions to this regulation must be approved in advance by the Office of International Affairs.


The courses in which a graduate student enrolls should reflect the nature and amount of the student's study and research activities as accurately as possible. Research includes literature reviews and thesis writing. A candidate for any advanced degree (excluding Indiana University Graduate School master's students) must be registered during the session in which he or she expects to receive the degree.

Proper registration is the responsibility of the student, the major professor, and the student's department. The IUPUI Graduate Office staff does not (except in unusual cases) counsel individual graduate students relative to their programs and progress. Necessary contacts should, in general, be made through the student's department.

Financial Aid

Graduate students interested in obtaining an Indiana University or Purdue University degree at the Indianapolis campus should contact IUPUI's financial aid office:

Office of Student Financial Aid Services
Campus Center 250
420 University Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: (317) 274-4162
Associate Instructorships, Graduate Assistantships, and Research Assistantships

Many associate instructorships, graduate assistantships, and research assistantships are available in departments and schools. Some of these positions are accompanied by fee scholarships, which defray the cost of tuition and most fees. Application for such positions should be made to the department or school in which the student wishes to work. Early application is advisable.


A number of fellowships are available to students enrolled full time; among them are university fellowships, fee scholarships, and various privately and federally funded awards. Students should indicate their interest in these fellowships directly to the major department. Information on, and preliminary applica-tion materials for, the National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships may be obtained from:
Fellowship Office
National Research Council
2101 Constitution Avenue N W
Washington, DC 20418
In all cases, early application is advisable. It should be noted that all such award holders are required to devote full time to their studies.

Foreign Language Requirements

There is no general requirement of competency in any foreign language. Each department determines requirements, if any, and options for satisfying them are obtained from the department.


Grade points are assigned at IUPUI according to the following scale (in calculating grade point averages, any plus or minus accompanying a letter grade is taken into account):
D =1.0

Courses completed with grades below C (2.0) are not counted toward graduate degree requirements, but such grades will be counted in calculating a student's grade point average. Some departments may require an average grade in graduate courses higher than B (3.0), while others may count no courses completed with grades below B (3.0) toward degree requirements. No work may be transferred from another institution unless the grade is a B (3.0) or higher.

The school dean may review a grade record at any time and may place a student on academic probation if the record justifies such action. When the grade point average of a student falls below 3.0, or the student is not making sufficient progress toward the degree, the dean will notify the student that he or she has been placed on probation. Unless the student brings this record up to a 3.0 grade point average, or begins making satisfactory progress in the next semester of enrollment, the student will not ordinarily be allowed to continue study at the university.

Standards of Work

Success in graduate study requires performance of a high quality. Pass/fail grades are unacceptable. A student's progress will be reviewed each semester by the department. Any student who fails to perform on a level satisfactory to the advisory committee or the dean may be asked to discontinue graduate study. The same scholastic requirements in effect during the regular university year apply to graduate study during the summer sessions and to work taken at all Indiana University or Purdue University campuses. The same grade standards also apply to prerequisite courses.


A master's or doctoral thesis is a document authored by a student that describes results of original research undertaken by that student and asserts a position that the student is willing to defend. This position should not be construed to prohibit joint or collaborative research endeavors. It is expected, however, that in such a situation, unique aspects of the broad problem will be explored by each individual and that the thesis written and presented to the final examining committee will be a personal document describing the student's creative effort and contribution. Students should speak with their advisor early in their graduate careers when considering a collaborative thesis project. Links to online versions of the Guide to Preparation of Theses and Dissertations for both IU and Purdue are available at

Visiting/Transient Students

Visiting students in good standing in any accredited graduate school who wish to enroll for one semester or summer session to take graduate-level courses and who plan to return thereafter to their former institution may be admitted as visiting/transient students if their enrollment can be accommodated. Visiting/transient students should register as Graduate Non-Degree Program students. Information about the Graduate Non-Degree Program may be obtained from:
IUPUI Graduate Office
Union Building, Room 207
620 Union Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46202
phone: (317) 274-3459
fax : (317) 278-2380