Undergraduate Programs


Dropping and Adding Classes

Students can make changes in their schedule, commonly known as add and drop. Students may add courses from the time of their initial registration up through the end of the first week of classes via Onestart. After the first week of classes, students may add courses only with a paper Schedule Adjustment form and the instructor signature.  Students may drop courses from the time of their initial registration through the last day of the automatic W period using Onestart. After the automatic W period, the student may drop a course with a Schedule Adjustment form with instructor signature and instructor designation of W or F; this option ends on the last day for withdrawal for the semester. After the last day for withdrawal, students may only make adjustments to their schedule using a schedule adjustment form and obtaining signatures from the heads of the division offering the course; this option may only occur in rare situations with documentation from clergy, legal representation, or the equivalent. Students receiving financial aid should be aware that dropping a course may change the amount of aid for which a student is eligible and may require that the student repay some of the money already received.

Students must drop classes officially; to stop attending a class or even to never attend the class does not cause the student to be dropped from the class. Failing to attend class does not mean a student has dropped a class but rather will result in an F in the course. Failing to pay for the course once registered and not attending will result in both an F and a bill for the course.  After the middle of the semester, students need the instructor’s signature in order to drop a class.

Dropping classes is done online through OneStart or by using the Schedule Adjustment forms, which are available at the Office of the Registrar. If using a form it must be filled out, signed, and returned to the Office of the Registrar, Room 156M.

While withdrawals do not change a student’s GPA,  withdrawals may trigger the federal government’s  definition of “not making academic progress” and may result in the loss of eligibility for certain types of aid. Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for more information about Satisfactory Academic Progress at http://www.iupuc.edu/financialaid/contacts/.

Check the Academic Calendar page, found on the Office of the Registrar web site, each semester for exact drop/withdraw and refund dates. You may also contact the Office of the Registrar at 812.348.7287 or online.