Undergraduate Programs


Transfer Admission and Qualifications

Transfers from Other IU Campuses

Students who are eligible to transfer to IUPUC as degree candidates from another campus of Indiana University must meet the degree requirements of the IUPUC division from which they expect to graduate. Students who plan to obtain a degree from another campus should contact and remain in contact with the dean of their prospective school for specific information on course, degree, and residency requirements.

A student at another Indiana University campus, whether coming to IUPUC on a temporary or permanent basis, should contact the IUPUC Office of Admissions for help in beginning the intercampus transfer process.

If a student has earned college credits after leaving the IU campus, the student must provide an offici transcript and contact the IUPUC Admissions Office, requesting that the new courses be evaluated for transfer credit.

If a student at another Indiana University campus is not in good standing and wishes to attend IUPUC, he or she should contact the IUPUC Office of Admissions for an explanation of the procedures.

Transfers from Other Purdue Campuses 

A Purdue University student from another campus must complete an official undergraduate application through the IUPUC Office of Admissions. If credits have been earned outside of Purdue, an official transcript from the non-Purdue schools must be provided. An application fee does not need to be paid.

Note: Courses with grades from C– to D– from other Purdue campuses will appear on the IUPUC transcript. The grades are not calculated in a student’s IUPUC GPA; however, individual divisions and programs may choose to use the courses to satisfy degree requirements.

Transfers from Other Universities 

A student from any other college or university must complete an official undergraduate application through the IUPUC Office of Admissions. Applicants are required to provide official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions they have attended.

Transfers from Universities with Articulation Agreements 

IUPUC has increasing numbers of articulation agreements with Ivy Tech Columbus and other Ivy Tech campuses that permit courses taken at Ivy Tech to transfer to IUPUC with a grade of C or higher. Effective dates for each course are listed, but no courses completed prior to the fall 1990 semester will transfer.

Passport to  IUPUC 

Passport to IUPUC is a program created by Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC) to facilitate the transfer of Ivy Tech State College Columbus courses and associate degree credits toward several IUPUC baccalaureate bachelor’s degree programs. The Passport program makes it easy to continue your education and become an IUPUC student.

IUPUC offers transfer students two categories of undergraduate admission (degree-seeking and visitor).

Degree-Seeking Students

If you wish to enter an undergraduate certificate, associate, or bachelor bachelor’s degree program, you will apply as a degree-seeking student (even if you are unsure of which degree program).

Admission Standards General Policy

For regular admission you must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and be eligible to return to your previous college. If you do not have a 2.0 or you are not eligible to return to your former school, you must sit out for one regular semester*. Summer sessions do not count. If you have been dismissed twice, you must be out of school for two full semesters. Please mail a statement with your application explaining what caused the low grades and how you will approach your studies at IUPUC.

Admission on Probation 

If your grade point average is below 2.0, you will be considered for admission on probation provided you have met or are meeting the required time out of school. In some cases students with a GPA below 2.0 will be required to file a petition and/or complete an interview. After reviewing your application, the Undergraduate Admissions Office will advise you if you must take these steps. We encourage you to apply at least three months in advance of your proposed starting date.

Credentials needed:

  • Official college transcript from every college attended. An official copy is one that has the embossed or raised seal of the school. Fax copies, photocopies, and grade reports are not considered official.
  • High school transcript or GED if you have fewer than 26 hours of transferable work. (We will accept a faxed high school transcript provided it is sent directly from the high school with the school fax number on the faxed pages.)

Please note that you are responsible for mailing the request to your former colleges and paying whatever fee is charged. Purdue students and Ivy Tech Indianapolis students do not have to order transcripts; however, if you have attended other colleges, you must request those transcripts.

Transfer Credit 

The grades from all course work previously completed are considered in the admission process.
Most divisions require a minimum GPA of 2.0 to be considered for admission; some divisions have a higher GPA requirement. Other factors may also be considered, including space available in the program, the specific course work completed, recent grades, and disciplinary standing.

Course work done outside of the IU system with grades of C (2.0) or better are transferred for possible use toward an IUPUC degree. No courses with grades of C– or lower will transfer to IUPUC. None of the grades transferred from other colleges or universities count in the IUPUC grade point average. Some divisions, however, may consider such grades for admission purposes and other academic matters.

How accepted credit is applied to program requirements is determined by the division and/or department that offer the course(s). Courses that were completed 10 years ago or even more recently may not be accepted in some programs and must be approved by the individual division awarding the degree.

Course work taken at another institution for which there is an equivalent Indiana or Purdue University course (in terms of course description, level, and prerequisites) will generally be transferred as credit in the equivalent courses. Other course work will be transferred as undistributed and reviewed by the appropriate division to determine how it will be counted toward degree requirements. In addition, the university does not accept the transference of special credit by examination awarded by another college or university.

Courses taken at another institution on a quarter system rather than a semester system will be evaluated as carrying fewer credit hours (e.g., a 3 credit hour course taken on a quarter system will transfer as 2 credit hours).