I. Chapter 1
a. Article I: Name and Symbol
i. Section 1: The name of this organization is Asian Student Union- IUPUI Chapter
ii. Section 2: The symbol of the organization is (see picture below)
b. Article II: Mission
i. Section 1: Asian Student Union aims to connect IUPUI students and community to
Asian heritage and culture; through community service, social networking and cultural programming.
c. Article III: Nondiscrimination Policy
i. Section 1: This organization and its members shall not discriminate against anyone for its reasons of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or special disabled veterans.
d. Article IIII: Organization
i. Section 1: The organization will be composed of all student members of the university community, general assembly, and the executive council.
ii. Section 2: Qualification of membership is open to all students currently enrolled at IUPUI. New membership will be encouraged and accepted throughout each academic semester. In order to become a voting member of ASU, an individual must attend two general board meetings and meet future attendance requirements.
iii. Section 3: Non-Student Membership:
1. Any individual at IUPUI, employed as a faculty member, Administrator, or Staff member shall be eligible for non-student membership in the Asian Student Union.
2. Any person having dual status as an employee and student shall be eligible for student membership only.
e. Article IV: Voting
i. Section 1: Members are required to attend at least three-fourths of all general board meetings in the course of the academic semester or voting status will be revoked.
Members who join late in the semester must attend three-fourths of the semester meetings from induction date on.
ii. Section 2: Each standing committee will be chaired by a current voting member who will oversee the programming of the events in the specific areas listed. Committees will consist of other voting members enlisted by the chair. All voting members must serve in at least one standing committee.
iii. Section 3: The election of ASU officers will be held in the last week of April of each academic calendar year. All full and part-time students who are paying members and currently enrolled for credit at IUPUI may vote.
iv. Section 2: The mode of election of officers shall be by blind ballot after direct nomination on the last week of April. A duly constituted election committee shall be composed of an advisor and four paying members. The election committee shall
be responsible for counting and certifying the authenticity of all ballots and announcing the results of the election. In the event that two or more nominees are elected and no candidate receives the majority of the votes cast, a run-off election shall be held.
f. Article V: Elections
i. Section 1: From the general membership, an individual will be elected for each of the Executive Board and standing committee chair officers during the first meeting in May. Election of officers will be by majority vote of the general membership. A special election will be held if either the President or Vice President or any other officer cannot continue their duties. Open positions will be appointed by the president until an election can be held.
II. Chapter 2
a. Article I: Officers
i. Section 1: All members shall maintain the requirements established for membership throughout their time of involvement. Voting members must participate in meetings, committees and events.
ii. Section 2: Members must attend weekly meetings and at least one event. If a member cannot attend a meeting or an event, that person must notify the Membership Director or the Secretary in advance to the meeting or event.
iii. Section 3: Voting rights will be taken from a member if he/she does not meet the required attendance.
iv. Section 4: Organization Leadership: Titles, terms of office, type of selection, and duties of the leaders.
1. Executive Board:
2. Standing Committees:
Each standing committee will be chaired by a current voting member who will oversee the programming of the events in the specific areas listed. Committees will consist of other voting members enlisted by the chair.
Cultural Diversity Chair
Event Management Chair
Membership Director Chair
Public Relations Chair
USG Senator/ Representative
b. Article II: Designated officers, councils and committees
i. All positions must adhere, but are not limited to the following duties and responsibilities…
ii. Section 1: President
1. Elected chief executive officer of the organization
2. Presiding officer over all Executive Board meetings
3. Possesses the power to make appointments/meetings
4. Oversees the organization in it’s total operational capacity and possess discretionary powers when making major decisions
5. Both President and the Executive Board will determine administrative implementation regarding policy for the organization
iii. Section 2: Vice President
1. Elected the assistant to the President
2. Only during the absence of the President shall the Vice President preside over all meetings
3. Only during the absence of the Secretary shall the Vice President overtake all responsibilities during meetings
4. Perform other duties assigned by the Executive Council
5. Oversees all internal operation of the organization and is sole executive of all Asian Student Union committees
iv. Section 3: Secretary
1. Elected book keeper of all records, meetings and historical information including alumni contacts
2. Must attend 75% of all Asian Student Union meetings
3. Record minutes at meetings and send out the them out with additional information through ListServ
4. Must develop a list of contacts and form a method of communication
v. Section 4: Treasurer
1. Elected supervisor of the financial affairs
2. Maintain an accurate system of recording all financial transactions and business reports of the organization
3. Advocating sound fiscal policies to the board during both executive and work session
4. Must be impartial in the performance of duties
5. Additional responsibilities include: collecting and recording all money generated from fundraising, membership fees and allocated funds through other institutions
6. Balance the financial ledger at end of each month
7. Holds all funds and performs other duties assigned by the Executive Council or set forth by the constitution of Asian Student Union
vi. Section 5: Cultural and Diversity Chair
1. Elected position to incorporate and promote diversity with inorganization
2. Coordinating and programming monthly cultural themes and activities
3. Collaborating with other university cultured-based organizations
4. Service as a cultural resource for ASU members
vii. Section 6: Event Management Chair
1. Elected main coordinator and director of all ASU events
2. Work in conjunction with other ASU committee chairs in programming, logistics and finalizing in events
3. Priority to set up most events and serve as liaison to venue and ASU
viii. Section 7: Membership Director Chair
1. Elected position for recruitment, retention and maintaining internal relations among members
2. Organizing and coordinating at least one retreat per semester
3. Evaluating and assessing progress and needs of organization
ix. Section 8: Public Relations Chair
1. Elected position to maintain an encouraging and active image of ASU on campus
2. Organizing and assembling promotional materials such as flyers, posters, banners, clothing, giveaways, etc.
3. Enrolling ASU in volunteer and community involvement programs
x. Section 9: USG Senator/ Representative
1. Elected position to attend all mandatory USG meetings, representing ASU and voicing our concerns, opinions and needs
xi. Section 10: Web Developer
1. Elected position to manage, design and update ASU website
2. Ensure coverage of ASU events on IUPUI’s website
3. Develop a relationship with media groups, such as “The Sagamore” and IUPUI External Affairs and Marketing Department
III. Chapter 3
a. Article I: Succession of Officers
i. Section 1: Vacancy of the office of President: In the event the President shall become physically or mentally disabled, or fails to perform their duties in a manner satisfactory to the Asian Student Union, or should resign before the expiration of his/her term of office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the office of President and the Executive Council shall appoint an interim Vice President to serve the unexpired term.
ii. Section 2: Vacancy of the Office of Vice President: In the event the Vice President shall become physically or mentally disabled or fails to perform his/her duties in a manner satisfactory to the Asian Student Union, or should resign before expiration of the term of office, the Executive Council shall appoint an interim Vice President to serve the unexpired term.
iii. Section 3: Vacancy of Secretary and Treasurer: In the event the Secretary or Treasurer shall become physically or mentally disabled, or fails to perform their duties in a manner satisfactory to the Asian Student Union, or should resign before the expiration of his/her term of office. The President shall appoint an interim Secretary or Treasurer to serve the unexpired term with the consent of the Executive Council.
iv. Section 4: Vacancy of Appointed Officers, Committee Chairpersons and Appointed Personnel: In the event that any officer, Committee Chairperson, or any member appointed by the President to perform services for the Asian Student Union fails to perform their duties in a manner satisfactory to the Asian Student Union, or becomes physically or mentally disabled, or should resign before the expiration of their term of service. General boar shall either appoint a successor for such removed, disabled or resigning member for the unexpired term of said member or combine chairs.
b. Article II: Removal of Officers
i. Section 1: Any elected or appointed officer of the Asian Student Union may be removed from office when that officer no longer meets the requirements of that office.
ii. Section 2: Procedures for Removal from Office
1. Removal can be made only by a two-third (2/3) majority vote of present Executive Council. The Vice-President shall be the presiding officer in all cases for removal from office.
2. The President shall preside in the inquiry or removal from office of the Vice President. In the event of a tie, the Faculty Advisor shall be the official mediator of the final vote.
3. The officer who is being removed from office shall be notified one week prior to the inquiry.
4. A certified letter shall be sent by the presiding officer of the inquiry to the most recent address listed with the University Registrar.
5. The letter shall state the grounds for which the inquiry is being called, including specific times and incidents. It shall also state the date, time and location of the inquiry.
iii. Section 3: The officer under inquiry need not be present at the inquiry. He or she may, however, attend and obtain legal counsel at his/her own expense.
iv. Section 4: All rebuttals or documentation to be presented at the inquiry by the officer under inquiry (or his/her designee) may either be written or oral. In the case of written rebuttal the information may be read aloud by the presiding officer and made a permanent part of the record.
v. Section 5: Following removal, a certified letter shall be sent to the officer with a copy going to the Faculty Advisor, the Student Activity Director.
vi. Section 6: Any member of a Asian Students United committee, including the chairperson, may be removed by the President for failing to perform their duties as a committee member.
IV. Chapter 4
a. Article I: Advisor
i. Section 1: The qualification criteria of the general advisor of ASU will be the Coordinator of Student Programs in Campus & Community Life. Graduate Assistants will serve as several committee chair advisors, who are appointed by the advisor.
ii. Section 2: Duties
1. The advisor(s) will be the only individual(s) who will have the authority to contract ASU to a specific program/event.
iii. Advisor(s)/Graduate Assistant(s) are to overlook all ASU members’ understanding of IUPUI policies and the execution of their duties. He/She is to also provide assistance in any form of documentation and procedures necessary.
Section 4: Grievances
1. ASU advisor(s) and graduate assistant(s) will be evaluated by the executive board after one year of service. Any other issues should be brought up to IUPUI’s official Director of Multicultural Center and Campus & Community Life.
2. When in the process of appoint and recruiting a new advisor/graduate assistant, at least two of the executive board members should be included throughout the procedure.
V. Chapter 5
a. Article I: Powers and Duties of Executive Council
i. Section 1: Power of the Executive Council: The Executive Council shall have the power and responsibility to conduct the affairs of the organization.
ii. Section 2: Duties of the Executive Council: The Executive Council shall have the authority to:
1. Establish appropriate policies and procedures, and implement the same subject to the consent of the General Board.
2. To hear allegation of misconduct of members and temporarily suspend members pending judgment by the General Board.
iii. Section 3: The Executive Council shall have all other powers and duties as might be assigned to it by the constitution of Asian Student Union.
VI. Chapter 6
a. Article I: General Board Meetings
i. Section 1: Executive Board: Members are responsible for attending all of semesters’ meetings unless emergency or prior arrangements shall occur. In doing so the Executive Council member should communicate to the President or an Executive Council member as long as his/her duties are being fulfilled.
ii. Section 2: Committee Members: The Committee Members of corresponding chairs are responsible for attending all meetings that carry out their committee chair responsibilities
iii. Section 3: Visiting Members: Other members of University Organizations, Community Organizations, Faculty, Staff and Alumni shall be admitted to the sessions of the General Assembly and to have a voice therein, but shall not be permitted to vote nor serve on committees. Section 2: Quorum must be represented by both the Executive Council and the Student Members to have an organized General Assembly meeting.
VII. Chapter 7
a. Article I: Amendment to the Constitution
i. Section 1: Proposal of Amendments: Amendments to this Constitution may be proposed by
the Executive Council, or by the General Assembly
ii. Section 2: The Constitution may be amended as follows…
1. Amendments to the Constitution proposed as herein before provided must be submitted to the Student Director at least 10 days before a General Assembly Meeting.
2. The Secretary shall circulate the proposed amendment(s) to all members in good standing and existence at the time of such proposed amendment(s) at least 7 days before a General Assembly meeting.
3. Such proposed amendment must be acted upon at the next meeting of the General Assembly, and shall be considered adopted by a two-thirds vote of the members so assembled.
4. Adopted amendments shall become effective immediately following the adjournment of said General Assembly
b. Article II: Adoption of Constitution
i. Section 1: This constitution and amendments there to shall be adopted or rejected section
by section, and the rejection of any section shall not affect the remaining sections.
VIII. Chapter 8
a. Code of Ethics
i. All activities of Asian Student Union shall be conducted in accordance with the Indiana
University Code of Student Ethics