|The 2004 field school completed its first
full week on May 21 at the Ward Site. We've initially placed four
units on the site: One in the front yard over an early porch
foundation, a second in the side yard (which was originally the street), a
third in the backyard (shown above and right), and a fourth on the alley
line near where an outhouse was placed in the late-nineteenth century.
The backyard is today mostly covered by a circa 1940 cinder block garage
and a laid concrete pad that extends off the porch. This unit
(right) revealed a laid brick walk directly beneath the surface that runs
from the house to the garage. The soil around the walk contained a
1943 penny, so the walk likely dates to the construction of the garage.
||The unit on the left was placed directly
behind (east) of the current garage. In the late-nineteenth century
an outbuilding was placed along this alley line, and this was almost
certainly the Beltz family's outhouse and was in use into at least the
1920's. The 1898 Sanborn map below left shows this structure at the
red arrow; in 1950 (below right), a garage sat in this portion of the
yard. The construction of the garage may have covered the outhouse,
so we're hoping that the garage was inched into the yard just far enough
to leave the outhouse archaeologically accessible.
||We toured the neighborhood with Thomas
Ridley on May 19. Mr. Ridley was born in the neighborhood and has
lived here for most of the past 80 years.
Left: At the Walker Theatre on Indiana Avenue.
Below: In the 900 block of Camp Street, at the shotgun houses.
For more on the Ward excavation and the field
school's survey at Arsenal Tech High School, visit the June
12 Field School report.
Last updated June 12, 2004