The near-Westside--and the space where the IUPUI campus sits today--was a thriving neighborhood a century ago and looks significantly different today. Nevertheless, basic street plans and a few landmarks are still distinguishable in this 1901 map.
Michigan and New York Streets run East-West (right to left) on this map as they still do today. Much of the space on the western side of this map (left) to the White River is today occupied by campus buildings. University Boulevard appears here as Agnes Street. Where soccer fields and the Track and Field Stadium now sit was a bleaching works, cotton mill, cotton warehouse, and a flour mill. A church was at the corner of Michigan and Blackford, where the Science and Technology Building is today. On the northeast corner of Michigan and Blackford where Mary Cable building is now was School No. 4, the main elementary school for Black children in the Fourth Ward from the late-nineteenth century into the 1940s. A former encampment for Civil War soldiers and the site of Indiana's first state fair, Military Park is on this map at the corner of New York and Northwest Street, now known as Martin Luther King Street.