||After a week of excavations, we've found
a handful of features from the Agnes Street backyards--a couple wells, a
laid sidewalk, possibly a stable--and artifacts that mostly represent the
later households along the street. We hope to have some more
conclusive analyses in the next week or so, but in the meantime here is
some of what we have found and done in the first week.
|When the bulldozer removed the parking
lot surface, one of the things it revealed was a circle of bricks behind
the home that was at 444 Agnes Street. This was a well, and
initially it contains mostly World War II-vintage artifacts.
||Left: In 1914, the Sanborn map
showed 444 Agnes Street extending well into its backyard with a rear
addition. The well we are now excavating likely was under this
extension at the red arrow.
(click on thumbnail for larger image): In 1958, the well was part of
the structure at the white arrow.
(thumbnail): This plastic police toy came from the well.
Since the site neighbors the University Police Station, we enjoy
exceptional site security.
(thumbnail): The well was excavated about two feet below the contemporary
surface when this picture was taken.
||Left: Nicolette is shown here
excavating along what appears to be a stable/garage wall that had the
large stone in this picture placed along its wall. This unit has few
artifacts, and most of the backyards along the street are shown as empty
yard space in maps, and historic pictures suggests that most near-Westside
backyards had no significant landscape features. However the
carefully laid sidewalk shown below suggests that even in modest
circumstances residents placed small but meaningful decorative elements in
This laid sidewalk in the foreground extends back toward the rear
yard line, where stables (later garages) and outhouses were located.
|Above: Genesis gives a tour of
the unit in which we hope to find the two-story outhouse.
|Right (thumbnail): This
doll arm was excavated came from the stable/garage wall.
||Left (thumbnail): Rory,
Nicolette, and Genesis dig in the mud around the stable/garage wall.
|Fieldwork has just started, so there is
still plenty to do and lots of things to find by the end of June.
Check back for fieldwork updates throughout the summer. Site tours
are given between 9:00 and 2:00 on weekdays, weather permitting, so feel
free to visit us at the southwest corner of Michigan Street and University
Boulevard on the IUPUI campus. We begin to accept volunteers the
week of May 26th; if you are interested in digging, please email Paul
Mullins for details or visit the site.
Last updated June 7, 2003