The Final Exam is an open-notes, open-book take home exam. You may use any notes, books, or consultations with classmates or me to prepare your essay responses. You should not, however, prepare the same essays. Your responses should be thorough and complete: that means a good answer should be AT LEAST a page long.
Your essays must be double-spaced with one-inch margins and checked for spelling and grammar. Put your name on the final paper. I will take off points for papers that do not follow these guidelines.
The mid-term is due to me electronically on or before Monday April 30. Grades will be turned in immediately, so late papers cannot be graded by the end of the semester. You can turn in paper copies of the exam if you prefer, but it must be in my box by the end of the day on April 30th.
PLEASE send the completed exam to my university email.
Section I: You MUST answer BOTH question 1 or 2 (20 points EACH)
1. Post processualists argue that the past is a contemporary construction. What does that mean? What are the implications of this notion on archaeology?
2. Let's just assume for the moment that you are not and will not be an archaeologist. What good is an archaeological "perspective" like that we've discussed in class this semester? Exactly what distinguishes archaeological approaches? How could non-archaeologists profit from understanding archaeological methods and thought?
Section II: You must answer EITHER ONE of the following essays (20 points)
3. What are the fundamental concepts in Marxian archaeologies? How does this sort of archaeology differ from cultural ecology? What are the strengths of Marxian thinking? What are its implications on archaeology; i.e., how might it change the way we do archaeology?
4. How do Leone, Potter, and Shackel define critical theory? How do they suggest Frankfurt School critical theory can be used in historical archaeology?
Section III: You MUST answer EITHER ONE of the following essays (10 points)
5. Do a Marxist analysis of any one of the following brands: Urban Outfitters, Calvin Klein, or Krispy Kreme. How is your assessment of these brands "Marxist"?
6. Do a post processual analysis of any one of the following brands: Urban Outfitters, Calvin Klein, or Krispy Kreme. How is your assessment of these brands "post processual"?
Section IV: You MUST answer this essay (30 points).
7. You conclude that your colleagues Mark Leone, Barb Voss, and Michael Shanks need to update their look, so you take them to Castleton Mall. How do they each analyze the mall as a material space, and why do they see the mall in such a way reflecting their distinctive theoretical positions? For instance, what specific features of the mall figure most prominently in their analysis, and why? Based on their research interests and the theories they outline, why would each see the mall in particular ways? They must each buy one item: What will they purchase, and why?
Last updated April 2, 2012