We open doors.
And we keep the doors open.
The mission of the Associate Faculty Coalition is to gain visibility and respect and to improve working conditions for part-time faculty at IUPUI.
The Coalition is working to support and foster a culture of mutual respect and collaboration among Associate Faculty and full-time faculty, staff, and administrators to adhere to the standards and values emphasized in the IUPUI mission statement, and to provide the highest quality education for our students.
The AFC Teach-In is a yearly event to raise awareness about adjunct faculy issues.
"Silence, Solidarity, and Service"
-Silence: Teach a class without speaking to represent adjuncts' lack of voice in university governance.
- Solidarity: Part-time faculty, full-time faculty, students and staff gathered for a group photo in Democracy Plaza, showcasing the support of equality for all faculty and staff on this campus.
-Service: Despite receiving low pay, many part-time faculty volunteer to serve IUPUI and the community. To highlight the commitment to teaching and learning, part-time faculty and others participated in the Cesar Chavez Day of Service.
Part-time Faculty. Full-time Impact.
Goals of the AFC
- A forum or opportunity for associate faculty to communicate their issues and concerns
- Increase pay for associate faculty
- Provide associate faculty with academic year contracts
- Convert associate faculty positions into full-time lecturer positions
- Include associate faculty in benefits
- Greater access to and resources for physical space, supplies, and storage
- Greater access and opportunity for funding related to professional development
- Fee remission to associate faculty who want to further their education
- Communicate more effectively with associate faculty across campus