We open doors.
And we keep the doors open.
Goals of the AFC
- Provide a regular forum or opportunity for associate faculty to communicate their issues and concerns to the Faculty Affairs Committee. This opportunity should include allowing associate faculty to participate as voting committee members in curriculum development, governance, and other areas where associate faculty are already an integral part of undergraduate education.
- Develop a plan to increase pay for associate faculty based on seniority, teaching load, course level, education, or some other relevant measurement. Identify minimum salary and benchmarks for reaching salary goals based on recommendations by MLA, AAUP, and other such organizations.
- Provide associate faculty with academic year contracts in an effort to encourage fiscal responsibility and planning in departments.
- Develop a plan to convert associate faculty positions into full-time lecturer positions. This plan should consider long-service faculty who regularly teach more than one section each semester. Provide regular review and evaluation of part-time faculty.
- Discuss ways to include associate faculty in benefits, including CAPS and other campus or School-specific benefits that do not require IU-Bloomington coordination. In addition, support associate faculty in their right to have full health insurance benefits as offered to full-time employees and faculty by encouraging IU administrators and trustees to include all employees in the university's benefit package.
- Provide greater access to and resources for physical space, supplies, and storage for part-time faculty within their respective Schools and departments.
- Provide greater access and opportunity for funding related to professional development to include attendance at local, regional, and national conferences. Inform associate faculty of these resources.
- Provide fee remission to associate faculty who want to further their education, become a more valuable asset to the University, and enhance their chances of full-time employment.
- Develop a method to communicate more effectively with associate faculty across campus and include them in certain communication mediums (listservs) that currently exclude them. Include all part-time faculty in the online faculty and staff directory.
Open Letter to IU President Michael McRobbie (published in Indianapolis Business Journal and The Indianapolis Star)