We open doors.
And we keep the doors open.
About the AFC
Whom do we represent?
The Coalition represents "part-time" faculty at IUPUI. We realize the designation of "part-time" is confusing because IUPUI uses several different titles for us. In the School of Liberal Arts, part-time faculty are called Associate Faculty. We are paid by the course, get our course assignments on a semester-by-semester basis, and receive no benefits. Your situation and title may be different, and while we have extracted a lot of data about our numbers and have a list of about 900 "part-time" faculty, we need your help in identifying all of us.
Membership is open to all faculty, staff, and students who believe in the Coalition's mission of achieving equity for part-time faculty at IUPUI. You may join and do no more than add your name to show your support. Or you may get more involved by becoming a board member, serving on a committee, or participating in one of our planned initiatives this year. Membership information is not shared with anyone outside of the Coalition.
Although many people believe that solidarity and group action are the best routes to improved working conditions for all faculty, individual faculty are welcome to discuss their concerns with their program Director, department Chair, school Dean, or any other campus administrator or office. The Coalition makes itself available to part-time faculty who wish to address working condition issues with an administrator by accompanying the part-time faculty to meetings where issues are discussed. While we acknowledge we lack authority to ensure the part-time faculty's issue is resolved equitably, our support will present a stronger front to administrators and can make it easier to bring issues to their attention.
What has the Associate Faculty Coalition done?
Since we launched as a group within the School of Liberal Arts, most of our initiatives to date have been focused there. Now that we've expanded to include all part-time faculty at IUPUI, we plan to work on related issues and conduct similar awareness-raising campaigns across campus. Please use the list below as a guide to what we would like to do for associate faculty across campus. We realize part-time faculty in other schools on campus will have different issues and we'd like to know what they are.
- Drafted a negotiation plan to improve pay and working conditions for part-time faculty in SLA.
- Gained private conference room for SLA instructors and their students.
- Lobbied for and received lockers for SLA instructors to securely store belongings.
- Screened the film "Degrees of Shame" to raise awareness of part-time faculty issues.
- Obtained group health insurance for associate faculty in SLA but were denied the ability to implement the plan by IU-Bloomington administration.Delivered an alternative via New Faculty Majority.
- Organized a week-long Teach-in to highlight part-time faculty issues and gain student support and interest in our cause.
- Created mini-documentary, Part-time Faculty. Full-time Impact. about part-time faculty issues at IUPUI.
- Initiated changes to our shared office space related to scheduling, supplies, and organization.
- Added, and continue to add, part-time faculty bios to faculty directories.
- Obtained a draft proposal by the Dean of SLA for limited tuition waivers for associate faculty.
- Negotiated with the Dean's office an alternative solution to the parking permit issue.