Skip page navigation

Did Jinx soap the fountain??

Tradition : Student Contributions

Time-honored, and sometimes unsanctioned, student traditions.

genesis magazine

Fall 1996 genesis cover

For more than three decades, IUPUI students have showcased their writing and artistic abilities in genesis magazine, a student literary publication produced each fall and spring within the English department in the IU School of Liberal Arts.

genesis was created in 1972 and originally published only written works. Eventually, the magazine began to feature black-and-white photographs and drawings, and published its first color-inclusive issue in 1987. The first full-color issues appeared in 1993, and current issues include prose (fiction, essays or other), poetry, photography and drawing, sculpture and furniture design.

Eve

Eve clad in women's undergarments, Courtesy of University Library Special Collections & Archives, #UA24-004802 Eve clad in women's undergarments, 1986

In 1931, the IU Alumni Nurses Association commissioned Herron alumnus Robert Davidson to create a statue to grace Ball Gardens, the formal gardens north of the nurses' Ball Residence. The statue, titled "Eve" but nicknamed "Flo" by nursing students for Florence Nightingale, became an integral part of the nursing student's life, especially around graduation time. In the 1940s, it was customary for graduating class to pose for a photo around the sculpture. In the 1950s and 1960s, it became the tradition at graduation to dress Flo in a nurse's pink training uniform. Besides the customary nurse's uniform, Flo has been decorated in everything from towels to balloons.
» More about Ball Gardens

Yearbooks

1969 cover of The Circle, courtesy University Library Special Collections & Archives
Cover of the 1969 edition of The Circle. Clearly, the production team admired the renowned American poet ee cummings.

Yearbooks haven't been part of our recent campus history, but such publications have dotted the IUPUI timeline through the years.

During IUPUI's early years, our students had an opportunity to preserve their college memories in The Circle, a yearbook published in 1969, 1970, 1979 and 1992. The same name applied to one earlier publication—this one in 1968—predating IUPUI's official launch, as well, when the Indiana University at Indianapolis campus was granted permission to print an annual.

The pre-IUPUI Purdue programs have a bit of history on the yearbook front, as well, thanks to The Pica. The 1968 production has an odd name until you parse out the acronym—given IUPUI's history, could there be any other path to follow—for the Purdue Indianapolis Campus.

The old Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union—now known as the IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management—had its own yearbook history. The first edition of The Gymnast appeared in 1913; the last came in 1941.

Fountain Soaping

Fountain soaping, 2004

A rather recent student "tradition" is an annual cleaning of Wood Memorial Plaza fountain. Apparently the proper amount of detergent is still in question since suds pour forth onto the plaza and blow across campus. According to Campus Facility Services, the fountain's pipes do indeed get a good cleaning, and, to the prankster's disappointment, the suds are easily eliminated in just minutes.


The Sagamore

IUPUI's award-winning student newspaper, The Sagamore, was a part of the IU School of Journalism and offered journalism students hands-on experience covering IUPUI campus life and creating a publication that served the needs of students attending an urban university. The newspaper, born in 1971, was published weekly during the academic year.

A student reading the Sagamore, 1977 A student reads a 1977 Sagamore

The Sagamore was created to replace separate student newspapers that served IU's and Purdue's individual Indianapolis-based programs. The Onomatopoeia was the student publication on the various IU program sites throughout Indianapolis, while the Purdue programs — based on the 38th Street campus — were covered by the Component.

The Sagamore's ancestors made their homes in less than auspicious surroundings. The Onomatopoeia was a weekly newspaper whose "office" was in a booth in a student hangout in the Administration Building known as Alvarez's Café, while the Component was produced monthly in a professor's office in the Krannert Building on the 38th Street site.

Throughout its 35-year history, The Sagamore regularly earned awards on both state and national stages against student newspapers from campuses similar to IUPUI's.

The Sagamore no longer publishes a print edition, but it has evolved into the online IUPUI Student Media site.