Skip page navigation

IUPUI timeline

History : Campus Timeline

1914
  • Long Hospital opens
  • Indiana University Training School for Nurses was founded in Indianapolis
1916
1917
  • First commencement held for Nursing, with five students receiving a Graduate Nurse Diploma from Indiana University
1919
1922
  • Six Indiana University students founded Sigma Theta Tau, nursing's honor society
1924
1927
1928
1934
1938
1941
1946
  • Maennerchor Building purchased for School of Law
1950
  • Campus accepts Laboratory Science Building from Indiana State Board of Health (renamed James W. Fesler Hall in 1959)
1953
1956
1958
  • Alfred S. Warthin Apartments and Medical Science Building completed
1959
  • Division of Allied Health Sciences established in School of Medicine
1967
1968
  • Maynard K. Hine, D.D.S., named chancellor of Indiana University at Indianapolis
  • Preventive Dentistry Research Building (now Oral Health Research Institute), and Phase I of University Hospital completed
1969
  • IU and Purdue merge into IUPUI, with IU given administrative and fiscal control
  • Maynard K. Hine, D.D.S., becomes first chancellor of IUPUI
1970
  • First commencement held granting 1,535 degrees
  • IUPUI Columbus Center opens
  • New building for School of Law completed
1971
1972
  • IU School of Public & Environmental Affairs, IU School of Liberal Arts, Purdue School of Science, and Purdue School of Engineering and Technology established.
1973
  • Glenn W. Irwin, Jr., M.D. named second chancellor of IUPUI
  • Nursing Building completed
  • IUPUI Columbus Center moved to facilities in Bakalar Technical Training Building.
1974
  • Bloomington and Indianapolis designated core campuses of Indiana University
1975
1977
  • Riley Hospital Intensive Care Clinic, Parent Education and Preparation Center, and Parent Care Unit completed.
  • School of Social Service renamed School of Social Work.
1980
  • Riley Hospital Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization Clinic and Laboratory completed
1981
  • University Townhouses completed (renamed Graduate Townhouses)
1982
1983
  • Elks Cancer Research Center opens
1986
  • Gerald L. Bepko, Ph.D. named third chancellor of IUPUI
1987
1988
1989
1990
1991
  • Purdue Schools of Science and Engineering and Technology Building (SET II) dedicated
1992
1993
  • Purdue Schools of Science and Engineering and Technology Building (SET III) dedicated
  • Purdue programs complete move to main campus from 38th Street campus
1994
1996
  • Indiana Cancer Pavilion dedicated
  • IU Hospital, Methodist Health Group and Riley Hospital for Children consolidate to form Clarian Health
1997
  • IU Trustees approve observation of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for all IU campuses beginning 1998
  • IU Cancer Research Institute dedicated
1998
  • IU and Microsoft form agreement, making IU the first university in the United States to make Microsoft's software available to students, faculty and staff
  • The Advanced Research and Technology Institute (ARTI) moves from Bloomington to Indianapolis
  • Van Nuys building expansion dedicated
1999
  • IU Cancer Center receives national Cancer Center research designation
2000
2001
2003
2004
2005
2008
2010