Degrees : Degree Information
Clinical Laboratory Science
|Granted By||Indiana University|
|Academic Unit||IU School of Medicine
|Department||Health Professions Programs
Bachelor of Science
More information about this degree program
|Overview||Clinical laboratory science/medical technology is a diverse, science-oriented profession aimed at accurate performance of clinical laboratory procedures on biologic samples from patients. The results from these procedures are used by physicians in diagnosing and treating diseases. Some of the tasks that clinical laboratory scientists/medical technologists perform are listed below:
* Analysis of simple/complex chemical components of body fluids.
* Evaluation of cellular components of blood.
* Identification of microorganisms and their antibiotic susceptibilities.
* Preparation of blood components for patient therapy.
* Evaluation of new techniques, procedures, and instruments.
These laboratory personnel continually evaluate the quality of the results from procedures and instruments and solve any problems that relate to inconsistencies. Excellent communication skills are required to interact with other members of the health care team, to teach, and to manage individuals under their supervision. Clinical laboratory scientists/medical technologists typically work in laboratories located in hospitals, clinics, physician group practices, blood centers, medical research facilities, or medically oriented industries.