Skip page navigation

Past Chancellors of IUPUI

Gerald L. Bepko, 1987 - 2003

Gerald Bepko
Gerald Bepko

Gerald Bepko joined the Indiana University faculty at the School of Law-Indianapolis in 1972, becoming a full professor in 1975, associate dean for academic affairs in 1979, and dean of the law school in 1981. In 1986, Bepko was appointed third Chancellor of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Bepko led an initiative to unify the various programs of IUPUI by bringing three important schools to the West Michigan Street campus: the Purdue School of Science, the Purdue School of Engineering and Technology, and the IU Herron School of Art. During his tenure, enrollment grew nearly 25% and external support for faculty activities grew from $38 million in 1987 to over $200 million in 2003. 24 new graduate level programs were created with minimal new state funding in fields such as biomedical engineering, information science, bioinformatics, philanthropic studies, and public health. Bepko also led a renewed emphasis on undergraduate education, culminating in the establishment of the University College, which was dedicated in October, 1998 at a ceremony at which the principal speaker was Secretary of Education Richard Riley.



Glenn Irwin, Jr., M.D., 1973 - 1986

Dr. Glenn Irwin
Glenn Irwin

Dr. Glenn Irwin, a native of Roachdale, Indiana, received his B.S. from Indiana Unversity in 1942 and his M.D. degree from IU in 1944 while serving in the U.S. Army. Dr. Irwin was appointed as an instructor in the IU School of Medicine in 1950 (only the third full-time member of the department) and was dean of the school from 1965 to 1973. Dr. Irwin is credited with transforming the campus area into a "real campus" while dean and throughout his chancellorship with the addition of numerous facilities, including the expansion of the IU Medical Center, the Business/SPEA building, School of Law building, Tennis Center, and the Ronald McDonald House. During his chancellorship, IUPUI's visibility and respectability as an academic institution increased dramatically. Enrollment grew from fewer than 17,000 students to more than 23,000, full-time faculty increased from 800 to 1,300, and the operating budget of the university increased from $97 million to $409 million. In 1974, IUPUI received, along with Bloomington, "core campus" status.



Maynard K. Hine, D.D.S., 1969 - 1973

Dr. Maynard K. Hine
Maynard K. Hine

Dr. Maynard Hine was the first chancellor of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and was the first Hoosier elected president of the American Dental Association. In 1944, Dr. Hine joined the IU dental school as professor and chairman of the Department of Oral Histopathology and Periodontics. The next year, he was appointed dean of the IU School of Dentistry and served from 1945 to 1968. As head of the American Dental Association, he campaigned for flouridation of drinking water and for programs to improve the dental health of underprivleged children. In 1968, he was appointed chancellor of the newly-established IUPUI. He worked with faculties from two seperate universities with separate academic cultures to blend them into one. His leadership during the first years helped build the foundation that has brought IUPUI to its present standing as one of America's top urban universities.